Mixture to create a 50% acid solution?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixture
In summary, to create a 50% acid solution, 41.25 milliliters of a 10% acid solution must be added to 55 milliliters of an 80% acid solution. This is determined by the equation 0.10x + 55(0.80) = 0.50(x + 55), which can be solved for x to get x = 41.25. The answer for milliliters is a decimal number because the original given value of 55 milliliters is also being multiplied by a decimal, 0.80. This results in a decimal value for the final amount of 41.25 milliliters.
mathdad
How many milliliters of a 10% acid solution must be added to 55 milliliters of a 80% acid solution to create a 50% acid solution?

This is my equation set up:

0.10x + 55(0.80) = 0.50(x + 55)

Is this correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you have the amount of acid (in mL) on both sides of the equation. (Yes)

MarkFL said:
Yes, you have the amount of acid (in mL) on both sides of the equation. (Yes)

All I have to do is solve for x, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I got x = 41.25.Is this right?

RTCNTC said:
All I have to do is solve for x, right?

- - - Updated - - -

I got x = 41.25.Is this right?

Mathematically, yes.

Joppy said:
Mathematically, yes.

Ok. So, the answer is 41.25 milliliters of a 10% acid solution. Does this even make sense? Why is this answer for milliliters a decimal number while the given milliliter is 55, a whole number? See my point?

1. How do I calculate the amount of acid needed to create a 50% acid solution?

To calculate the amount of acid needed, you will first need to know the volume of the final solution you want to create. Then, using the formula (concentration of acid)(volume of acid) = (concentration of final solution)(total volume), you can solve for the volume of acid needed.

2. Can any type of acid be used to create a 50% acid solution?

Yes, any type of acid can be used to create a 50% acid solution as long as the concentration is known. Different acids will require different amounts to be added to the solution, but the end result will still be a 50% acid solution.

3. Is it possible to dilute a higher concentration acid to create a 50% acid solution?

Yes, it is possible to dilute a higher concentration acid to create a 50% acid solution. This can be done by adding a specific amount of water to the higher concentration acid, depending on the concentration and volume desired for the final solution.

4. What precautions should be taken when handling and mixing acids to create a 50% acid solution?

When handling and mixing acids, it is important to wear proper protective gear such as goggles, gloves, and a lab coat. It is also important to mix the acids slowly and carefully to avoid splashing. Additionally, make sure to work in a well-ventilated area and have neutralizing agents on hand in case of spills.

5. How do I check the concentration of my final 50% acid solution?

The concentration of your final 50% acid solution can be checked using a pH meter or pH test strips. These tools can measure the acidity of the solution and confirm that it is indeed a 50% acid solution. Alternatively, the concentration can also be calculated by measuring the volume of acid added and the total volume of the solution.