Modeling Ball and Spinning System

In summary, the conversation discusses how to model a ball and spinning beam system in Matlab, which is similar to a ball and beam control system but with the added complication of accounting for centripetal force. The speaker suggests starting with a Simulink model of the ball and beam control system and using Lagrange to determine the equations of motion and kinematics. They also mention finding reference papers and using diagrams to aid in the modeling process. The concept of centripetal force is also brought up and its application in the system is discussed.
EngBoy
How should I go about modelling a ball and spinning beam system in matlab? It's similar to the ball and beam control system except the beam spins like a propeller so the control system has to account for the centripetal force.

Any reference papers?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ever done a Simulink model of the ball and beam control system? If not, start there. In case you haven't done any work yet on this, you'll have to draw some sort of diagram and get your equations of motion and kinematics right. I would suggest using Lagrange for that. Give us some more details on the work you've done already and maybe we can help.

I believe I have found some Simulink models of the ball and beam control system and I've got them working in matlab. I'm working on the kinematics diagram of the ball and spinning beam system now but wouldn't it just be the same as the regular ball and beam system just with centripetal force? I'm not sure how to use Lagrange yet so I need to spend some time on it, but if I was going to start with the kinematic equations, I would use a diagram similar to this one right ?

https://www.fsb.unizg.hr/acg/ball_and_beam_model.html
or
http://www.control.lth.se/documents/2004/5736.pdf

And centripetal force would just be a force that is applied on the ball parallel to the beam but in the direction away from the center right?

1. What is the purpose of modeling a ball and spinning system?

The purpose of modeling a ball and spinning system is to simulate and understand the behavior and movement of objects in motion. This can help us predict and analyze the trajectory and forces acting on the ball, as well as provide insights into the underlying physics of the system.

2. What factors are typically included in a model of a ball and spinning system?

A model of a ball and spinning system typically includes factors such as the mass and shape of the ball, the rotational speed and direction of the spin, the initial velocity and angle of the ball, and external forces such as gravity and air resistance. Friction and elasticity can also be incorporated into the model to make it more realistic.

3. How is a model of a ball and spinning system created?

A model of a ball and spinning system is created using mathematical equations and computer simulations. The equations take into account the various factors mentioned above, and the computer simulation uses numerical methods to solve these equations and generate a visual representation of the system's behavior.

4. What are some real-world applications of modeling a ball and spinning system?

Modeling a ball and spinning system has many practical applications, such as in sports training and analysis, robotics, and aerospace engineering. It can also be used to study and improve the performance of machines that involve rotating parts, such as engines and turbines.

5. How accurate are models of ball and spinning systems?

The accuracy of models of ball and spinning systems depends on the complexity and level of detail included in the model. In general, the more factors that are considered, the more accurate the model will be. However, there may always be some discrepancies between the model and real-world observations due to factors that cannot be fully accounted for, such as air turbulence or surface imperfections.