Modeling plasma instability with electric arc discharges

In summary, the article discusses a technique for guiding electric arcs with lasers. It is not clear how this would be applicable to fusion plasmas, but it is an interesting concept.
Colin LeMahieu
I was reading a paper recently about guiding electric arc discharges with lasers. http://loa.ensta-paristech.fr/ilm/uploads/ILM/134_Forestier_discharge_AIPAdvances_2_012151_2012.pdf

Since electric arcs are plasmas and they seem to be stabilized by lasers, could the same principle be applied to fusion plasma?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Colin LeMahieu said:
I was reading a paper recently about guiding electric arc discharges with lasers. http://loa.ensta-paristech.fr/ilm/uploads/ILM/134_Forestier_discharge_AIPAdvances_2_012151_2012.pdf

Since electric arcs are plasmas and they seem to be stabilized by lasers, could the same principle be applied to fusion plasma?
With a quick read of the article, it appears the interest is inducing a more controlled atmospheric discharge, i.e., lightning, such that greater protection of electrical infrastructure is achieved. The Earth's atmosphere is many orders of magnitude greater density than a fusion plasma. It's not clear the advantage of this process for magnetically confined fusion systems. Perhaps the_wolfman can provide some insight.

Interesting. I could see how lower density could affect results. Is the lower density because of technical limits to confinement? Higher density would generally be desired if possible, right?

Colin LeMahieu said:
Interesting. I could see how lower density could affect results. Is the lower density because of technical limits to confinement? Higher density would generally be desired if possible, right?
The pressure of the plasma is a function of particle density, n, and the temperature, T, by virtue of P = nkT, where k is the Boltzmann constant.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/kinetic/idegas.html#c1

The plasma pressure is limited by the magnetic pressure and the structural materials confining the plasma. Higher density would be desirable, but we are constrained by the limits on materials.

Likes Colin LeMahieu
Colin LeMahieu said:

The laser pulse creates a partially ionized of column of gas that has a reduced density. These two effects reduce the breakdown voltage and resistivity is the column. Current takes the path of least resistance, so the laser pulse is creating a preferred path for the arc to follow.

Magnetically confined plasmas are usually completely ionized. So its hard to imagine where this mechanism would be applicable except maybe during start up.

It is interesting thato the arcs have such a well defined cylindrical shape.

Likes mheslep and Colin LeMahieu
As far as I know, field strength is a limitation with magnetic confinement fusion plasmas, but not structural limits of materials, not yet.

1. What is plasma instability?

Plasma instability refers to the behavior of plasma, a state of matter in which electrons are separated from their atoms, when it is subjected to external forces. These forces may cause the plasma to become unstable and exhibit chaotic and unpredictable behavior.

2. How are electric arc discharges used to model plasma instability?

Electric arc discharges, which are high-energy electrical discharges that occur in a gas, produce a plasma state. By controlling the parameters of the electric arc, such as the voltage and gas composition, scientists can simulate the conditions of plasma instability and study its behavior.

3. What are the potential applications of modeling plasma instability with electric arc discharges?

Understanding plasma instability is important in a variety of fields, including astrophysics, nuclear fusion, and plasma processing. By using electric arc discharges to model this phenomenon, scientists can gain insights into how to better control and utilize plasma in these applications.

4. What challenges are associated with modeling plasma instability with electric arc discharges?

One of the main challenges is reproducing the complex conditions of plasma instability in a controlled laboratory setting. Additionally, accurately measuring and analyzing the behavior of the plasma can be difficult and requires advanced instrumentation and techniques.

5. How can the results of modeling plasma instability with electric arc discharges be applied to real-world scenarios?

The findings from these experiments can be used to inform and improve the design and operation of technologies that utilize plasma, such as plasma thrusters for spacecraft propulsion and plasma-based medical treatments. Additionally, a better understanding of plasma instability can lead to advancements in fusion energy research.