Modeling projectile motion as subject to a constant accelera

In summary, projectile motion involves two accelerations, one due to gravity and another due to any external forces. However, when modeling projectile motion, we only consider the acceleration due to gravity and not any external forces. This is because once the projectile leaves the cannon, there is no longer any force acting on it except for gravity. Therefore, we only consider the acceleration due to gravity in our equations.
Anama Skout
Consider the following diagram of a projectile motion (##\hat{\bf i}## and ##\hat{\bf j}## are the unit vectors of the ##x## and ##y##-axis respectively)
ixzHD.jpg

We know that $$F=ma.\tag1$$ This can be rearranged to $$a=\frac Fm.\tag2$$ So there are actually two accelerations, one with magnitude ##mg## and another with magnitude ##\frac Fm##. However when we model that projectile motion using the equation $$x_f=x_i+v_it+\frac12at^2,\tag3$$ we put ##a=mg## and not ##a=mg+\frac Fm##. Why is this the case? What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is this F?
After the projectile leaves the cannon there is no force on it besides gravity.

nasu said:
What is this F?
After the projectile leaves the cannon there is no force on it besides gravity.
##F## is the force that the projectile exerted on the ball.

So you have a projectile and a ball? Isn't the ball the projectile, the moving object?

nasu said:
So you have a projectile and a ball? Isn't the ball the projectile, the moving object?
Hmm sorry (english isn't my mother language) I meant by the projectile the canon, the thing that projects, and the ball the thing that was projected, the moving object.

Oh, OK.:)
As long as the ball is inside the cannon there is indeed a horizontal force on it. Once the ball is out of the cannon, this force does not act anymore.
When we study projectile motion, we consider as initial state (with initial velocity) some position outside the cannon, where there is no more force exerted by cannon on the ball.

Likes Anama Skout

Related to Modeling projectile motion as subject to a constant accelera

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched or thrown into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

What is the constant acceleration in projectile motion?

The constant acceleration in projectile motion is the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth.

How do you model projectile motion?

To model projectile motion, you can use the equations of motion, specifically the kinematic equations, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration, and time to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, air resistance, and the gravitational force of the Earth.

What is the path of a projectile?

The path of a projectile is a parabola, which is a curved line that follows the shape of a parabola. The shape of the parabola depends on the initial velocity and angle at which the object is launched.