Modelling Water Tanks: Solving with Bernoulli Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Bernoulli equation to solve for the height of water in a narrow cylinder in relation to a larger tank. The equation is solved for the velocity and then integrated to find the height over time. However, it is noted that the function increases to the height of the larger tank and then decreases, which is not physically possible. Suggestions are made to correct the equation and reduce it to a dimensionless form.
Alexander350
Untitled.png

I tried using the Bernoulli equation to solve this. I took two points at the surface of the water in both the containers and formed this equation:
[tex]gh_{b}=\frac{1}{2}v^2+gh[/tex]
This is assuming that the velocity of the water in the large tank is approximately zero and using the fact that both the surfaces are at atmospheric pressure. Then, I solved for the velocity and said that this is equal to the rate of change of the height of the water in the narrow cylinder.
[tex]\frac{dh}{dt}=\sqrt{2g(h_{b}-h)}[/tex]
Finally, solving this with the assumption that h starts at 0, I got:
[tex]h=\sqrt{2gh_{b}}t-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
But looking at this function, it increases to the height [itex]h_{b}[/itex] and then decreases again. This obviously does not happen; it would just stay at that height forever. So what have I done wrong?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 919
Physics news on Phys.org
Chestermiller said:
Integrating the equation correctly might help.
It looks correct to me. Substituting it back into the original equation satisfies it.

Your equation is valid from h:0 to h:hb. So, if you solve it for h=hb, you will find your upper limit for t (call it tb).

From 0 to tb you can use your solution for h(t).
For t>tb, dh/dt=0 and so h=hb.

Likes Alexander350 and Chestermiller
Alexander350 said:
It looks correct to me. Substituting it back into the original equation satisfies it.
Sorry. I misread your equation. You are, of course, correct.

It is interesting to reduce your final equation to dimensionless form as follows:

$$\frac{h}{h_b}=\left(\frac{t}{\tau}\right)-\frac{1}{4}\left(\frac{t}{\tau}\right)^2$$ where the characteristic time ##\tau## is given by $$\tau=\sqrt{\frac{h_b}{2g}}$$
The level in the small tube rises to that in the large tank when $$t=2\tau=\sqrt{\frac{2h_b}{g}}$$

Likes Alexander350

1. What is the Bernoulli equation and how is it used to model water tanks?

The Bernoulli equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the velocity, pressure, and elevation of a fluid. It is used to model water tanks by considering the conservation of energy between two points in the tank, typically the bottom and the surface of the water.

2. What are the assumptions made when using the Bernoulli equation to model water tanks?

The Bernoulli equation assumes that the fluid is incompressible, inviscid, and flows steadily. It also assumes that there is no energy loss due to friction or turbulence, and that the fluid has a constant density.

3. Can the Bernoulli equation be used for any shape or size of water tank?

Yes, the Bernoulli equation can be used to model water tanks of any shape or size. However, it is most accurate for tanks with simple geometries and when the fluid is not significantly affected by external forces, such as pumps or valves.

4. What are the limitations of using the Bernoulli equation to model water tanks?

The Bernoulli equation is a simplified model and does not take into account factors such as viscosity, turbulence, and surface tension. It also assumes that the fluid is in a steady state, which may not be the case in real-world situations.

5. How can the Bernoulli equation be used to solve practical problems related to water tanks?

The Bernoulli equation can be used to calculate the flow rate, pressure, and velocity of fluids in water tanks. This information is useful for designing and optimizing systems that involve the transport and distribution of water, such as pipelines, irrigation systems, and water treatment plants.