Modern Manufacturing Engineering

In summary, two videos about making electric motors impressed me. The first from China, the second from Germany. MIT is also studying the use of AI to help design the manufacturing process.
anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Just sharing. Below are two videos about making electric motors that impressed me. One from China, one from Germany. MIT is also studying the use of AI to help design the manufacturing process.

If I was a young EE just starting, I think I would choose manufacturing engineering. Today seems like a golden age for that.

Likes OmCheeto, jim hardy and jrmichler
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't have any pictures, unfortunately, but one of the more amazing things I've seen is something that our ME and EE groups did in the design of an electricity meter a couple years ago. With AC mains traces and circuitry in a meter, you need to obey creepage and clearance rules in order to pass safety certification. But spacing things out enough to meet those spacing rules increases the size of the PCB significantly. So it's common practice to use milled cuts in the PCB to increase the creepage and clearance distances between traces.

And carrying that one step farther, our ME and EE groups used 3-D design software and 3-D prototype printing to figure out how to add plastic flange features to the plastic enclosure, so that the flanges fit into the milled cuts in the PCB, further increasing the creepage distances and adding an insulation layer for clearance. It usually took several iterations (of both the enclosure and the PCB) to get to the final version, but the size reduction (and cost reduction) were significant.

Very cool thing! :smile:

EDIT -- Kind of like this, but with the insulation and milled cuts combined:

https://i.stack.imgur.com/L0tol.png

L0tol.png

Attachments

• L0tol.png
    L0tol.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 669
Likes anorlunda
I had a summer job just out of high school in a motor rebuilding shop. It was an excellent learning experience about how much goes into an apparently simple electric motor.

I had another job in the late 90's in a machine building company that built some of their own motors. I worked next to the EE that designed a servomotor that delivered 225 ft-lbs RMS torque and 600 ft-lbs peak torque in a housing 9.9" OD and 16" long (not including the shaft). One of my projects was developing an accelerated life test for this motor. I blew up 25 or so motors at $20,000 each. The first generation motor lasted a year in the field and less than a day on the test stand, the second generation motor lasted a month on the test stand, and the third generation motor destroyed the test stand. He also designed a three phase motor about 3.5" diameter by about 5" long that delivered almost 10 hp. The duty cycle was less than 1%.

They even had a stator stuffing machine similar to that shown in the second video at 00:17 and 2:07. That was impressive to watch - whoosh and the stator was wound.

Good times.

Likes berkeman
jrmichler said:
The first generation motor lasted a year in the field and less than a day on the test stand, the second generation motor lasted a month on the test stand, and the third generation motor destroyed the test stand.
The goal of every engineer! :smile:

Likes Tom.G
anorlunda said:
If I was a young EE just starting, I think I would choose manufacturing engineering. Today seems like a golden age for that.

We recently visited Loughborough University in the UK. They have a Design School which offers 3 and 4 year BA and BSc degrees in Industrial and Product Design. Covers all aspects of Product Design and Manufacturing both mechanical and Electronic. Quite an impressive set up they have. Good CAD facilities, 3D printing and CNC etc.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/design-school/

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/design-school/about/facilities/

anorlunda said:
Just sharing. Below are two videos about making electric motors that impressed me.

There was a program on Discovery Channel awhile back about how Tesla build the model S. Included the robotic line that assembles their motors.

Modern Manufacturing Engineering:
anorlunda said:
Just sharing
Thanks for the video links, anorlunda.... :thumbup:I'll put up a couple more... I've always liked watching this one .

Take your choice, they're about unlimited... here .

berkeman said:
...thanks.

Question 1:

What is modern manufacturing engineering?

Modern manufacturing engineering is a field of study that focuses on the design, development, and implementation of efficient and effective manufacturing processes. It involves the use of advanced technologies, such as automation, robotics, and computer-aided design, to improve the production of goods and increase efficiency in the manufacturing industry.

Question 2:

What are the key components of modern manufacturing engineering?

The key components of modern manufacturing engineering include design and planning, process optimization, automation and robotics, quality control, and supply chain management. These components work together to ensure that products are designed, produced, and delivered efficiently and effectively.

Question 3:

How does modern manufacturing engineering impact the industry?

Modern manufacturing engineering has a significant impact on the industry by improving productivity, reducing costs, and increasing the quality of products. It also allows for more flexibility and customization in production, as well as faster response to market demands.

Question 4:

What are the current trends in modern manufacturing engineering?

Some current trends in modern manufacturing engineering include the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning, the implementation of sustainable and eco-friendly practices, and the integration of digital technologies in manufacturing processes. There is also a growing focus on the development of smart factories and the use of collaborative robotics.

Question 5:

What skills are necessary for a career in modern manufacturing engineering?

A career in modern manufacturing engineering requires a strong foundation in engineering principles, as well as knowledge and skills in computer-aided design, process optimization, and automation. Soft skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management are also essential for success in this field.