Modern US locomotive design and operation

In summary: The video shows different parts of a locomotive and their function.The locomotive has multiple parts including the engine, driving wheels, rail cars, and cab. The engine powers the locomotive and is made up of multiple parts including the boiler, cylinders, and smoke stack. The driving wheels are on the front of the engine and move it along the track. The rail cars are behind the engine and push the train along the track. The cab is where the engineer and other crew members work. A standard mainline freight locomotive develops 4400 hp (3.24 MW) with some developing up to 6000 hp (4.47 MW).A standard mainline freight
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Locomotives are a complex combination of mechanical and electrical systems. The video shows different parts of a locomotive and their function. A standard mainline freight locomotive develops 4400 hp (3.24 MW) with some developing up to 6000 hp (4.47 MW).

The previous standard from the late 1970s was 3000 hp (2.24 MW).

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, gmax137, Filip Larsen and 5 others
Engineering news on Phys.org
That's cool. I'm happy to say that I spent 10 years working in the ALCO locomotive factory building. In the video it is called "Building next to Erie Boulevard"

The consulting company I worked for bought the building and converted it to offices. When we tried to drill holes in the floor for plumbing, we found that it was nearly a meter of reinforced concrete. The floor was designed to resist damage if the crane dropped locomotives. That's a viewpoint not often heard, "Locomotives falling from the sky." :wink:

• Informative
  • Haha
Likes diogenesNY, Drakkith, Tom.G and 5 others
anorlunda said:
That's a viewpoint not often heard, "Locomotives falling from the sky."
Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

This one did. Kind of...

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes russ_watters, Lnewqban, anorlunda and 1 other person
What's interesting about the Montparnasse train wreck in the pic I posted is very minimal damage was done to the locomotive itself aside from cosmetic. It's been recreated in the movie Hugo and in the children's series Thomas the Tank. I never knew much about it until recently other than it was on the cover of Mr. Big's album Lean Into It. An interesting story to say the least. Imagine being the fireman or engineer and jumping out of that.

Likes hutchphd
anorlunda said:
In the video ...
I wonder if the workers there lost their hearing? Looks like a very dangerous work environment.

Averagesupernova said:
View attachment 319428
This one did. Kind of...
I remember that. There was a series of wall posters from the "Oh dang. Great moments in engineering history." series. That picture was one of them.

Another from that series, and my personal favorite, showed a bunch of people looking down at a collapsed RR bridge. If I could find an image of that, I could use it for my PF avatar pic.

Likes dlgoff
dlgoff said:
I wonder if the workers there lost their hearing? Looks like a very dangerous work environment.
Nobody cared in the days before OSHA laws. I suffered 80% hearing loss handling empty cans at a soda factory. Nobody mentioned ear protection and at age 18, I was too stupid to think about it.

Likes dlgoff, Lnewqban and hutchphd
Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing.

anorlunda said:
....and at age 18, I was too stupid to think about it.
Lol. I think you can be reassured to know that at least at that age you were perfectly normal. I recall being invincible when I was 18. It's an awesome feeling. I'd sure welcome a little bit of it back.

Likes dlgoff and scottdave
Astronuc said:
The video shows different parts of a locomotive and their function.
What fun it would be to make a locomotive simulator, full size, with full motion, and simulated video scenery viewed out the windows.

anorlunda said:
What fun it would be to make a locomotive simulator, full size, with full motion, and simulated video scenery viewed out the windows.
I believe they do for training locomotive engineers.

An example from Canadian Pacific (CP)

GO Train

HENSOLDT offers full scale replica cab simulators for stationary or motion-based installations. I believe this is for EU markets, but in theory could be made for US and Canadian markets.
https://www.hensoldt.net/services/simulation/full-motion-train-simulator-simsphere-train/

Likes anorlunda and Lnewqban
Averagesupernova said:
Imagine being the fireman or engineer and jumping out of that.
anorlunda said:
:oops:

What amazes me is just how small/weak the engines are for locomotives. Even 6,000 hp is just 30 decently powered cars. Yet the locomotive itself weighs more than those 30 cars, as does each of the hundred rail cars that follows. It really drives home how efficient rail travel is, while explaining why the acceleration/deceleration is sooooo slow.

Likes scottdave, dlgoff and anorlunda
russ_watters said:
What amazes me is just how small/weak the engines are for locomotives. Even 6,000 hp is just 30 decently powered cars. Yet the locomotive itself weighs more than those 30 cars, as does each of the hundred rail cars that follows.
Horsepower (MW) is one factor, and tractive effort is another factor. The weight of the locomotive and wheel geometry in conjunction with the rail geometry ensures a locomotive or set of locomotives can pull a train. Usually, more than one locomotive is used depending on train tonnage and ruling grade; wheel slip is a concern, as is train-track dynamics (including stopping ability) and truck/wheel-rail forces/interactions.

It used to be cars were limited to about 263,000 lbs (131.5 T) gross weight (tare + freight load = light weight + load limit). Then the gross weight was increased to 286,000 lbs (143 T), and trains have normally been 100 cars +/- 20 (4500 - 6700 ft), but railroads have limited train length to about 180 cars (12,000 ft/3657 m) on mainline railroads in US.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_trains
There are special cases or exceptions.
https://www.freightcourse.com/longest-freight-trains/

Usually, long trains will use distributed power units (DPU) mid-train and at the end for a total of 6-9 on flat/level grade and more on mountain grades.

UP's exception - https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2010-jan-13-la-me-monster-train13-2010jan13-story.html

I found an article on the desire for longer trains, which states, "the upper limit on North American freight trains is generally in the 170-220 car range, totally 14,000 feet or so, with average weights of around 14,000 tons or less. The record breaking trains above were found to be impractical and subsequently weren’t run at this length during normal operation. The average freight train is smaller at a little over a mile, but this average has still increased around 25% since 2008."
https://zmodal.com/2020/04/30/trains-are-longer-and-heavier-than-ever/

• Informative
Likes scottdave, berkeman and anorlunda

1. What are the main components of a modern US locomotive?

A modern US locomotive typically consists of a diesel engine, alternator, traction motors, control systems, and various mechanical and electrical systems.

2. How do modern US locomotives differ from older locomotives?

Modern US locomotives are more fuel-efficient and have lower emissions compared to older locomotives. They also have advanced control systems and technology, such as computerized controls and GPS tracking.

3. What advancements have been made in modern US locomotive design?

Modern US locomotives have seen advancements in aerodynamics, weight reduction, and improved engine performance. They also have improved safety features and better ergonomics for the operator.

4. How are modern US locomotives maintained and serviced?

Modern US locomotives require regular maintenance and servicing, including oil changes, filter replacements, and inspections. They also undergo periodic overhauls to ensure optimal performance and safety.

5. What are the key considerations in designing and operating modern US locomotives?

The key considerations in designing and operating modern US locomotives include fuel efficiency, emissions control, safety, reliability, and cost-effectiveness. Additionally, the locomotive must meet regulatory standards and be compatible with existing infrastructure and equipment.