Molar extinction coefficent calculation

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to calculate the molar extinction coefficient for Bovine serum albumin, but is having difficulty finding information on the internet. They realize that the extinction coefficient should be around 44,000, but are using an amino acid sequence their professor gave them instead of the primary sequence of the protein. They are going to try to find good literature to cite the correct calculation of the EC.
vande060

Homework Statement

I am to calculate the molar extinction coefficient for Bovine serum albumin

Homework Equations

ε = (nW×5500) + (nY×1490) + (nC×125) for coefficients around 280nm

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve this by adding up the tryptophan, tyrosine, and cytosine for the peptide sequence of BSA, but for the lab I am running we are testing absorbance at 595 nm, not 280nm. Also I know that the Practical Handbook of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology cites most extinction coefficients at 280. Can I still use my calculation for the formula that is supposed to be at 280nm.

When I do the math I get: (3*5500) + (21*1490) + ( 34*125) = 52040 M ^-1 cm^ -1

this seems too high though, as most sources I'm finding say the extinction coefficent should be around 44,000.

I used an amino acid sequence my prof gave me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps your professor forgot that the first 25 amino acids of BSA are a signal peptide that gets cleaved off and is not present in the mature BSA protein (which has an extinction coeff ~44,000).

Absorption at 595nm is used to measure protein concentration in a Bradford assay, where protein binding to a coomassie blue dye creates a color change that allows you to measure the protein concentration. Unlike measuring the absorbance at 280nm, you cannot calculate an extinction coefficient for the Bradford assay from the primary sequence of the protein. In order to convert an absorbance measurement at 595nm to a protein concentration in the Bradford assay, you need to make a standard curve with solutions of known concentration.

WE are doing it by making a standard curve, I think this was more of an exercise. I'll try to find good literature to cite the correct calculation of the EC by, otherwise I'm going with using the peptide sequence he gave us. Thanks so much for clearing that up

What is the molar extinction coefficient?

The molar extinction coefficient (ε) is a measure of how strongly a substance absorbs light at a particular wavelength. It is a characteristic property of a compound and is used to quantify the concentration of a substance in a solution.

How is the molar extinction coefficient calculated?

The molar extinction coefficient can be calculated using the Beer-Lambert Law, which relates the absorbance of a sample to its concentration and the path length of the light through the sample. The formula is ε = A/(c*l), where A is the absorbance, c is the concentration, and l is the path length.

What factors affect the molar extinction coefficient?

The molar extinction coefficient is dependent on the wavelength of light, the nature of the substance, and the solvent in which it is dissolved. It can also be affected by pH, temperature, and the presence of other substances in the solution.

Why is the molar extinction coefficient important in spectroscopy?

The molar extinction coefficient is important because it allows us to quantify the concentration of a substance in a solution based on its absorbance. This is particularly useful in spectroscopy, where the amount of light absorbed by a sample is used to identify and measure the concentration of compounds.

How do I find the molar extinction coefficient for a specific compound?

The molar extinction coefficient for a specific compound can be found by consulting a database or reference book, as it is a known characteristic property of the compound. Alternatively, it can be experimentally determined by measuring the absorbance of known concentrations of the compound at a specific wavelength.