Moment of Inertia: Disc+Point Mass | Help Needed

In summary, to find the moment of inertia of a disc of mass m and radius r with a point mass of m on its circumference, we can use the parallel axes theorem to add the moment of inertia of the disc (1/2mr^2) to that of the point mass (mr^2) to get the total moment of inertia, which is 11/2 ml^2.
markosheehan
Find the moment of inertia of a disc of mass m and radius r with a point mass of m on its circumference. i can't work this out can someone help me. i can work out that the moment of inertia of the disc is 1/2mr^2 but i don't know what to do with the point mass. i think it could have to do with some thing with the parallel axes theorem. the answer at the back of the book is 11/2 ml^2

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
Find the moment of inertia of a disc of mass m and radius r with a point mass of m on its circumference. i can't work this out can someone help me. i can work out that the moment of inertia of the disc is 1/2mr^2 but i don't know what to do with the point mass. i think it could have to do with some thing with the parallel axes theorem. the answer at the back of the book is 11/2 ml^2

The moment of inertia is the sum of all mass contributions times their squared distances to the axis.
In formula:
$$I_z = \sum_i m_i r^2$$
or for a body:
$$I_z = \int r^2\,dm $$

It implies that we can sum the two contributions of moment of inertia together (with respect to the same axis).
And it also implies that a point mass $m$ rotating at distance $r$ from the axis has moment of inertia $mr^2$.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a rotating object that determines how resistant it is to changes in its rotational motion. It is often referred to as the rotational inertia or angular mass.

How is moment of inertia calculated for a disc and point mass?

The moment of inertia for a disc and point mass is calculated by adding the individual moments of inertia for each object. For a disc, the moment of inertia is equal to 1/2 * mass * radius^2. For a point mass, the moment of inertia is equal to the mass * distance from the axis of rotation squared. The total moment of inertia is the sum of these two values.

What is the significance of moment of inertia in physics?

Moment of inertia is a crucial concept in physics as it helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects. It is used in equations such as Newton's second law of motion for rotational motion and the conservation of angular momentum.

How does the moment of inertia affect the rotation of an object?

The moment of inertia affects the rotation of an object by determining how much torque is required to change its rotational motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to accelerate or decelerate their rotation compared to objects with a lower moment of inertia.

Can the moment of inertia of an object change?

Yes, the moment of inertia of an object can change if the mass distribution or shape of the object changes. For example, a disc with a hole in the center will have a different moment of inertia compared to a solid disc with the same mass and radius. Additionally, the moment of inertia can also change if the object's axis of rotation is altered.