Moment of Inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal

In summary, the book's solution uses a sleazy trick. He says $$I_x = \frac{1}{3} M b^2 \, \operatorname{and} \, I_y = \frac{1}{3} M a^2,$$ and claims that it can be shown that $$I_{BD} = \frac{1}{3} Mb^2 \cos^2(\theta) + \frac{1}{3} M a^2 \sin^2(\theta).$$ From the geometry, the result follows.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
The problem is to show that the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate of mass $m$ and sides $2a$ and $2b$ about the diagonal is $\displaystyle \frac{2}{3} \frac{m a^2 b^2}{a^2+b^2}.$ I did it using the traditional definition of moment of inertia, that is, $$I = \int r^2 \, dm.$$ However, the book's solution uses a sleazy trick. He says $$I_x = \frac{1}{3} M b^2 \, \operatorname{and} \, I_y = \frac{1}{3} M a^2,$$ and claims that it can be shown that $$I_{BD} = \frac{1}{3} Mb^2 \cos^2(\theta) + \frac{1}{3} M a^2 \sin^2(\theta).$$
yaP0U1f.png

From the geometry, the result follows.

The question is: how can you show $$I_{BD} = \frac{1}{3} Mb^2 \cos^2(\theta) + \frac{1}{3} M a^2 \sin^2(\theta)?$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Fantini said:
The problem is to show that the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate of mass $m$ and sides $2a$ and $2b$ about the diagonal is $\displaystyle \frac{2}{3} \frac{m a^2 b^2}{a^2+b^2}.$ I did it using the traditional definition of moment of inertia, that is, $$I = \int r^2 \, dm.$$ However, the book's solution uses a sleazy trick. He says $$I_x = \frac{1}{3} M b^2 \, \operatorname{and} \, I_y = \frac{1}{3} M a^2,$$ and claims that it can be shown that $$I_{BD} = \frac{1}{3} Mb^2 \cos^2(\theta) + \frac{1}{3} M a^2 \sin^2(\theta).$$
From the geometry, the result follows.

The question is: how can you show $$I_{BD} = \frac{1}{3} Mb^2 \cos^2(\theta) + \frac{1}{3} M a^2 \sin^2(\theta)?$$

Is...

$\displaystyle \cos \theta = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}, \sin \theta = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}\ (1)$

... and using the (1) You arrive at the identity...

$\displaystyle I = \frac{m}{3}\ (b^{2}\ \cos^{2} \theta + a^{2}\ \sin^{2} \theta) = \frac{2\ m}{3}\ \frac{a^{2}\ b^{2}}{a^{2} + b^{2}}\ (2)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Thanks for replying, chisigma. However, I don't think you've understood my question. I know how to derive the result, assuming the relation the solution used.

My problem is how to prove that the relation holds. :)

Hey Fantini! ;)

The principal tensor of inertia is:
$$I_p = \begin{bmatrix}
I_x &0&0\\
0 &I_y&0 \\
0 & 0 & I_z
\end{bmatrix}$$

At an angle the tensor of inertia becomes:
$$R^T I_p R $$
where $R$ is the rotation matrix around the z-axis by an angle $\theta$.
(See Principal axes of the Moment of Inertia on wiki).

From this we can read off the new moment of inertia, which is what you have. (Mmm)

Hey ILS. :) This is some help. Would you happen to have a more elementary derivation? Even if it's valid for this special case. Using tensors of inertia seems like overkill to me.

Fantini said:
Hey ILS. :) This is some help. Would you happen to have a more elementary derivation? Even if it's valid for this special case. Using tensors of inertia seems like overkill to me.

Sure. (Sweating)

As you already know, we have:
$$I_x = \iint y^2 dm\tag 1$$
$$I_y = \iint x^2 dm\tag 2$$

What we want is:
$$I_{BD} = \iint d^2 dm$$
where $d$ is the distance of the point (x,y) to the line BD that makes an angle $\theta$ with the x-axis.

The distance $d$ is given by:
$$d = -\sin\theta \cdot x + \cos\theta \cdot y$$
Therefore:
$$I_{BD} = \iint (-\sin\theta \cdot x + \cos\theta \cdot y)^2 dm = \cos^2\theta\iint y^2 \,dm + \sin^2\theta\iint x^2 \,dm -2\sin\theta\cos\theta\iint xy\,dm \tag 3$$

The last term vanishes since:
$$\iint xy\,dm = \rho\iint xy\,dxdy = \rho\int \left[\frac 12 xy^2 \right]_{-b}^{b}dx = \rho\int \frac 12 x\Big(b^2 - (-b)^2\Big) = 0 \tag 4$$
More generally this is true for anybody that is symmetric in one of the axes.Combining $(1), (2), (3)$ and $(4)$ gives us:
$$I_{BD} = \cos^2\theta\cdot I_x + \sin^2\theta\cdot I_y$$Tada! (Party)(This is basically one of the derivations given on the wiki page - just limited to 2 dimensions. (Nerd))

I see. It's basically the same derivation I did by applying the definition of moment of inertia, except that I used the center at the lower left corner of the plate. Still worked. Thanks, ILS! :)

Related to Moment of Inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal

1. What is the moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal?

The moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion about that diagonal. It is a mathematical property that depends on the shape and mass distribution of the object.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal calculated?

The moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * (a^2 + b^2), where m is the mass of the plate and a and b are the lengths of the two perpendicular sides of the plate.

3. How does the moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal affect its rotational motion?

The greater the moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal, the more difficult it is to change its rotational motion. This means that objects with a higher moment of inertia will have a slower rate of rotation compared to objects with a lower moment of inertia.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal can be changed by altering its mass distribution or shape. For example, increasing the mass of an object or changing its shape to be more spread out will result in a larger moment of inertia.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal used in real-world applications?

The moment of inertia of a plate with respect to one diagonal is an important concept in engineering and physics. It is used in the design of structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure their stability and resistance to rotational forces. It is also used in the analysis of rotational motion in machines and vehicles.