Moments of Inertia and More....2

In summary, the given moment of inertia is I_o = (pi•a^4)/2 and the lamina has a density of p = 1. The mass is found to be m = pi a^2, and the moment of inertia about the z-axis is I_z = (pi a^4)/2. It is also shown that I_x = I_y = (pi a^4)/4.
harpazo
Verify the given moment(s) of inertia and find x double bar and y double bar. Assume that the lamina has a density of p = 1, where p is rho.

The diagram given is a circle with radius a. The entire circle is shaded.

We are also given I_o = (pi•a^4)/2, where I_o is the moment of inertia about the origin.

My Work:

I found the mass to be 4pi.

I found I_y to be 8pi.

x double bar = sqrt{8pi/4pi}

x double bar = sqrt{8/4}

x double bar = sqrt{2}

I found I_x = 16pi.

y double bar = sqrt{16pi/4pi}

y double bar = sqrt{4}

y double bar = 2.

Is any of this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Harpazo said:
Verify the given moment(s) of inertia and find x double bar and y double bar. Assume that the lamina has a density of p = 1, where p is rho.

The diagram given is a circle with radius a. The entire circle is shaded.

We are also given I_o = (pi•a^4)/2, where I_o is the moment of inertia about the origin.

So, the coordinate axes are oriented such that the origin is at the center of the disk. The moment of inertia where the axis of rotation is the $z$-axis is given by:

\(\displaystyle I_z=\frac{mr^2}{2}\)

The mass $m$ for this disk is:

\(\displaystyle m=\pi a^2\)

And the radius $r$ is stated to be $a$.

Hence:

\(\displaystyle I_z=\frac{\pi a^2\cdot a^2}{2}=\frac{\pi a^4}{2}\)

Harpazo said:
My Work:

I found the mass to be 4pi.

The mass should be in terms of the parameter $a$, since the density is constant. I gave the mass above.

Harpazo said:
I found I_y to be 8pi.

You should be able to show that:

\(\displaystyle I_x=I_y=\frac{\pi a^4}{4}\)

MarkFL said:
So, the coordinate axes are oriented such that the origin is at the center of the disk. The moment of inertia where the axis of rotation is the $z$-axis is given by:

\(\displaystyle I_z=\frac{mr^2}{2}\)

The mass $m$ for this disk is:

\(\displaystyle m=\pi a^2\)

And the radius $r$ is stated to be $a$.

Hence:

\(\displaystyle I_z=\frac{\pi a^2\cdot a^2}{2}=\frac{\pi a^4}{2}\)
The mass should be in terms of the parameter $a$, since the density is constant. I gave the mass above.
You should be able to show that:

\(\displaystyle I_x=I_y=\frac{\pi a^4}{4}\)

Interestingly tricky.

Related to Moments of Inertia and More....2

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is the rotational equivalent of mass in linear motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It is also affected by the distribution of mass within the object.

3. What are the applications of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is used in engineering, physics, and other fields to analyze and predict the rotational behavior of objects. It is also used in designing structures, calculating the stability of vehicles, and understanding the motion of celestial bodies.

4. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia of an object is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with a larger mass or a greater distance from the axis of rotation have a higher moment of inertia. A more spread out distribution of mass also increases the moment of inertia.

5. How does the moment of inertia differ from torque?

The moment of inertia and torque are both related to rotational motion, but they measure different things. Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, while torque is a measure of the force needed to produce rotational motion.