Monitor restarts when I make an electric arc

In summary, when metal is brought within 1 foot of an electric lighter, the laptop screen will refresh every time. This is likely due to an electromagnetic pulse, which can damage components in the computer. A surge protector may help prevent this damage.
Crystal Fever
Why does my laptop's screen refresh every time I bring a metal object (any size) to my electric lighter?
-Happens when I am 1 foot away from the laptop
-1 foot away from the external monitor's wires (HDMI & power)

1. Video footage (MUST WATCH)
NOTE: the laptop screen also flickers a bit
NOTE: just normally turning on the lighter does not interrupt my display devices
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1orjYatHAHFVg_yIMQG18vJpzgfSA6Usy
2. The Elelctric Lighter
NOTE: There are two small magnets besides the arc rods
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12as_RKmej_bN851du07bd70LQDNOMEE4
3. The HDMI cable and port
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11hE-cpJRv6LxdlvA4w6OLYkMMZK4WkL0
4. My external monitor's power and HDMI cables
NOTE: making the arc beside them also refreshes the screen
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JXXgW0AEe0yPQTQwx9CtWOmRNHaq-qL4

To my knowledge this is creating an electromagnetic pulse and perhaps disrupting some flow of electricity, which causes the graphics card some trouble. Am I right? What more is there to this? How dangerous is it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems obvious to me at least that you don't use high voltage electrical stuff near your computer, that something bad is going to happen. You mention magnets, electric discharge and bringing the phenomena near the display and near the HDMIcables. This suggests a surge protector is needed if you don't want to fry your ports.

It also reminds me of how as kids we'd bring magnets near our old cathode ray tube TVs to see the beam deflect and then get yelled at by our parents for ruining the screen as sometimes there'd be after-effects.

I think its dangerous for your computer if you haven't gotten shocked by your setup already. Anytime, something electrical causes the computer screen to flicker then you know there's a surge going on or a brownout if not a blackout and things like this can cause problems with your computer from loss of data on a hard disk to fried ports or system board depending on how bad the discharge is and whether things are properly grounded.

Try buying a surge protector and see if it prevents the issue.

Remember a changing electric discharge can produce a current in the wires leading to your computer causing a surge that can fry stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_spark

Lastly, sparks can burn people, sparks can cause fires and sparks can fry computer components so be safe and be careful and know where your ER or UC facilities are.

Closing thread as I think we've covered everything.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Crystal Fever

1. Why does my monitor keep restarting when I make an electric arc?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the electric arc is creating electromagnetic interference, causing disruptions in the flow of electricity and triggering the monitor to restart. Another possibility is that the voltage of the electric arc is fluctuating and causing the monitor's power supply to shut off and restart. It could also be a safety mechanism built into the monitor to protect it from potential damage.

2. Can I prevent my monitor from restarting when I make an electric arc?

Yes, there are a few steps you can take to prevent your monitor from restarting. One option is to use a surge protector or uninterruptible power supply (UPS) to regulate the flow of electricity and protect your monitor from power fluctuations. Another solution is to reduce the intensity of the electric arc or move it further away from the monitor to minimize interference. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to consult a professional electrician or replace the monitor with one that is more resistant to electromagnetic interference.

3. Is it safe to use an electric arc near my monitor?

Generally, it is safe to use an electric arc near a monitor as long as you take necessary precautions. Make sure to keep the arc at a safe distance from the monitor and any other electronic devices to prevent interference. It is also important to wear proper safety gear, such as protective eyewear, when using an electric arc. If you are unsure about the safety of using an electric arc near your monitor, it is best to consult with a professional.

4. Will restarting my monitor frequently damage it?

In most cases, restarting your monitor frequently should not cause any significant damage. However, if the restarts are frequent and sudden, it could potentially affect the lifespan of the monitor's components. If you are experiencing frequent restarts, it is best to address the issue to prevent any potential damage to your monitor.

5. How can I troubleshoot the issue of my monitor restarting when I make an electric arc?

First, try using a surge protector or UPS to regulate the flow of electricity. If the issue persists, try reducing the intensity or distance of the electric arc. If the problem continues, it may be necessary to consult a professional or replace the monitor. It is also important to make sure that the monitor's power and display cables are securely connected and not damaged. If none of these solutions work, it may be a more complex issue that requires further troubleshooting or professional assistance.