Monte Carlo financial simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches for simulating a 30-year investment return scenario using a normal distribution with mean x% and standard deviation y%. The first approach involves generating n sets of 30 samples from the distribution, but it is noted that the sample average may not always be close to x%. The speaker suggests running a sufficient number of scenarios to obtain n sets with a sample average within a pre-determined tolerance of x%. However, this may not be the best approach for studying the investment. The conversation also mentions that there are financial institutions that offer monte carlo simulators, but the details of how they are done are not well-known. It is suggested to model the correlation of the years and use a closed form
hotvette
Homework Helper
Let's say I want to simulate a 30-year investment return scenario by running n simulations (e.g. n = 1000) using a normal distribution with mean x% and standard deviation y%.

My first approach was to generate exactly n sets of 30 samples from N~(x,y) but I realized that for any given set of 30 samples the sample average isn't necessarily close to x%. Wouldn't a more valid approach be to run a sufficient number of scenarios to obtain n sets, each of which has a sample average within a pre-determined tolerance of x? It seems to me the answer should be yes.

I've seen results of financial monte carlo simulators that are offered by well known financial institutions, but nobody I talk to seems to know the details of how it is done.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hotvette said:
but I realized that for any given set of 30 samples the sample average isn't necessarily close to x%
Good, that's what you expect from 30 independent samples.
If you expect the years to be correlated (and in general they will be) you first have to model this correlation.
hotvette said:
Wouldn't a more valid approach be to run a sufficient number of scenarios to obtain n sets, each of which has a sample average within a pre-determined tolerance of x? It seems to me the answer should be yes.
Not if you want to study what happens to the investment.

If you want to calculate percentiles of 30 year annualized returns from a lognormally distributed return with mean m (log return) and vol sigma, it can be done in closed form like this in Excel:

=EXP(m+NORMSINV(percentile)*(sigma/SQRT(number of years)))-1

There is no appreciable year by year autocorrelation in financial market returns, so that assumption is good, however returns have fatter negative tails than reflected in a lognormal distribution, but this is a good approximation

1. What is Monte Carlo financial simulation?

Monte Carlo financial simulation is a mathematical technique used to model the potential outcomes of a financial decision or investment by generating random variables and running multiple simulations to calculate the expected value and risk associated with the decision.

2. How does Monte Carlo financial simulation work?

The simulation works by creating a model that takes into account various factors such as market conditions, investment strategies, and risk factors. It then generates a large number of random scenarios based on these factors and calculates the potential outcomes of the decision based on the probabilities of each scenario occurring.

3. What are the benefits of using Monte Carlo financial simulation?

One of the main benefits of using Monte Carlo financial simulation is that it can provide a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the potential risks and rewards associated with a financial decision. It also allows for the consideration of multiple scenarios and factors, providing a more realistic and robust analysis.

4. What are some common applications of Monte Carlo financial simulation?

Monte Carlo financial simulation can be used in a variety of financial decision-making scenarios, such as evaluating investment strategies, risk management, and portfolio optimization. It is also commonly used in insurance, banking, and other industries to assess and manage financial risks.

5. What are the limitations of Monte Carlo financial simulation?

One limitation of Monte Carlo financial simulation is that it relies on assumptions and probabilities, which may not always accurately reflect real-world scenarios. It also requires a significant amount of data and computing power to run, which can be a barrier for some individuals or companies. Additionally, the results may be affected by the quality and accuracy of the input data and assumptions used in the simulation.