More data -- How many people are ignoring a user

• Thread starter Frabjous
  • Start date
In summary, it would be nice if when we click on a user’s name if we could see the number (not names) of people who were ignoring the user.
Frabjous
Gold Member
It would be nice if when we click on a user’s name if we could see the number (not names) of people who were ignoring the user.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've never seen that in a Profile before. Where do you find that?

caz said:
It would be nice if when we click on a user’s name if we could see the number (not names) of people who were ignoring the user.
As far as I know that information is not even available to the mentors.

Interesting, but a negative metric that could be uncomfortable for many

Likes PhDeezNutz, Oldman too, phinds and 3 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
Interesting, but a negative metric that could be uncomfortable for many
I would respond that there are three or four users over the past couple of years that I wish that I had not paid any attention to. Most of them were eventually banned. Providing the information would provide them with unbiased information from peers which might inspire them to mend their ways and also provide warning to some of PF’s stronger personalities to help prevent some of the confrontations that lead to banning.

I think that in an effort to be helpful, we sometimes enable behaviors that are detrimental.

Maybe the count should only be for the previous month so that people are not tarred with youthful indiscretions.

caz said:
I would respond that there are three or four users over the past couple of years that I wish that I had not paid any attention to. Most of them were eventually banned.
I think a better way is for users to make use of the "report a post" feature so the staff can handle them professionally.

Likes pinball1970, Oldman too, phinds and 5 others
People would have to pester me a great deal before I would ignore them.

test: in the last reply I made in the quantum forum it refused to format the latex. ##2+2=4## what gives? Feel free to ignore this.

Last edited:
Likes Oldman too
Paul Colby said:
People would have to pester me a great deal before I would ignore them.

test: in the last reply I made in the quantum forum it refused to format the latex. #2+2=4# what gives? Feel free to ignore this.
Double-#

• Informative
Likes Oldman too and Paul Colby
caz said:
I would respond that there are three or four users over the past couple of years that I wish that I had not paid any attention to. Most of them were eventually banned. Providing the information would provide them with unbiased information from peers which might inspire them to mend their ways and also provide warning to some of PF’s stronger personalities to help prevent some of the confrontations that lead to banning.

I think that in an effort to be helpful, we sometimes enable behaviors that are detrimental.

Maybe the count should only be for the previous month so that people are not tarred with youthful indiscretions.
I think it would put people off. New users and regular users, the non Scientists would feel stupid and self conscious and god forbid a big hitter got an 'ignored' against their name.
Imagine Phinds or V50? They would go on a killing spree. Everyone would pay, EVERYONE!
My vote is stick to report.

• Haha
Likes BillTre, berkeman and Bystander
It might be useful for oneself to know the number of people ignoring you? I guess maybe ##N## people find you useless and annoying isn’t very uplifting for ##N>0.##

Paul Colby said:
It might be useful for oneself to know the number of people ignoring you? I guess maybe ##N## people find you useless and annoying isn’t very uplifting for ##N>0.##
Would the feedback on the posts not provide that kind of information?
In a more constructive way?

Certainly, the ratio of messages to reaction score is sufficient information. I'm impressed by yours, BTW.

Likes pinball1970
Paul Colby said:
Certainly, the ratio of messages to reaction score is sufficient information. I'm impressed by yours, BTW.
I was referring to comments in terms of content. The vast majority of my upvoted are not Science related. Music, general stuff.

• Informative
Likes Paul Colby

Related to More data -- How many people are ignoring a user

1. How do you collect data on how many people are ignoring a user?

The most common way to collect data on how many people are ignoring a user is through surveys or questionnaires. These can be administered online or in person and can ask participants directly if they are ignoring a particular user.

2. Is it ethical to collect data on how many people are ignoring a user?

This is a complex question and the answer depends on the specific circumstances and the purpose of the data collection. In general, it is important to obtain informed consent from participants and to ensure their privacy and confidentiality when collecting data on their behavior.

3. What are the potential uses of data on how many people are ignoring a user?

Data on how many people are ignoring a user can be used for research purposes, to understand patterns of social behavior, and to inform the development of social media platforms. It can also be used by companies to track customer satisfaction and identify areas for improvement.

4. How accurate is the data on how many people are ignoring a user?

The accuracy of the data depends on the methods used to collect it. Surveys and questionnaires may be subject to biases and inaccuracies, while data collected through direct observation or tracking of online behavior may be more reliable. It is important to consider the limitations of the data when interpreting the results.

5. Can data on how many people are ignoring a user be used to identify individuals?

In most cases, data on how many people are ignoring a user will not be able to identify specific individuals. However, if the data is combined with other personal information, it may be possible to identify individuals. It is important to handle this type of data with caution and to protect the privacy of participants.