More examples of equations that unexpectedly model nature in similar ways

syfry
Been dipping my toes into maths by examining how equations work on the most basic level, and I love encountering equations that turn out to model similar aspects in nature, for example the inverse square law is apparent in equations for gravity and for electromagnetism.

In the thumbnail of this video, the equations for electric and gravitational forces are very similar.

Symmetry (visual) might be the description I'm going for.

What are more examples of equations in science with visual (or functional) type of symmetry?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm not totally clear on what you're asking, but will assume that by "symmetry" you mean equations for physical quantities that are analogous to each other. If so, here are a couple that come to mind.
Linear force F and acceleration -- F = ma
Rotational torque and rotational acceleration ##\tau = I\alpha##
In these equations the pairs force (F) and torque (##\tau##), mass (m) and moment of inertia (I), and acceleration (a) and rotational acceleration (##\alpha##) are analogous.

Another example that is more complicated is how an LRC (inductor, resistor, capacitor) electrical circuit can be described by essentially the same second-order differential equation as a damped, spring and mass system. The equation for the electrical circuit, where the source voltage is constant is ##\ddot I(t) + \frac R l \dot I(t) + \frac 1 {LC} I(t) = 0##. Here I(t) is the current at time t, R is the resistance of the resistor, L is the inductance of the coil, and C is the capacitance of the coil.

The analogous equation for a damped, spring mass system is ##\ddot x(t) + \frac c m \dot x(t) + \frac k m x(t) = 0##.

Likes syfry
I am always aware of the adage "If you have a hammer, all your problems look like a nail" which I believe is also called "Maslow's Hammer".
There are only a small number of equations that we can happily solve and so our musings lead us there. Of course that this is true may be further indication of the fundamentals of the solution.....

hutchphd said:
There are only a small number of equations that we can happily solve and so our musings lead us there.
One of my professors was musing in class one day. "We see this - second order partial differential equations - everywhere, in all kinds of unrelated places. Does this tell us more about the world, or more about ourselves?"

Likes Astronuc and hutchphd
Mark44 said:
I'm not totally clear on what you're asking, but will assume that by "symmetry" you mean equations for physical quantities that are analogous to each other. If so, here are a couple that come to mind.
Linear force F and acceleration -- F = ma
Rotational torque and rotational acceleration ##\tau = I\alpha##
In these equations the pairs force (F) and torque (##\tau##), mass (m) and moment of inertia (I), and acceleration (a) and rotational acceleration (##\alpha##) are analogous.

Another example that is more complicated is how an LRC (inductor, resistor, capacitor) electrical circuit can be described by essentially the same second-order differential equation as a damped, spring and mass system. The equation for the electrical circuit, where the source voltage is constant is ##\ddot I(t) + \frac R l \dot I(t) + \frac 1 {LC} I(t) = 0##. Here I(t) is the current at time t, R is the resistance of the resistor, L is the inductance of the coil, and C is the capacitance of the coil.

The analogous equation for a damped, spring mass system is ##\ddot x(t) + \frac c m \dot x(t) + \frac k m x(t) = 0##.
Yeah that's the word, analagous!

Really nice example with torque. The examples with the electrical circuit also, so symmetrically satisfying and interesting.

1. How do equations unexpectedly model nature in similar ways?

Equations can unexpectedly model nature in similar ways when they describe complex systems or phenomena using simple mathematical relationships. These relationships may emerge from underlying principles or patterns that are not immediately apparent.

2. Can you provide an example of an equation that unexpectedly models nature?

One example is the logistic equation, which was originally developed to model population growth but has been found to also describe the spread of diseases, the dynamics of ecosystems, and even the behavior of certain chemical reactions.

3. Why is it important to identify equations that unexpectedly model nature?

Identifying such equations can lead to a deeper understanding of the underlying principles governing natural phenomena. It can also help scientists make predictions, develop new technologies, and uncover connections between seemingly unrelated systems.

4. How do scientists discover equations that unexpectedly model nature?

Scientists often discover these equations through a combination of empirical observations, mathematical modeling, and experimentation. They may also use techniques such as data analysis, computer simulations, and theoretical frameworks to uncover hidden relationships.

5. What are some other examples of equations that unexpectedly model nature?

Other examples include the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics, the Navier-Stokes equations in fluid dynamics, and the Lotka-Volterra equations in ecology. These equations have been found to describe a wide range of natural phenomena beyond their original intended applications.