Motion involving Translation & Rotation |Kleppner and Kolenkow

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Right Hand Rule and Corkscrew Rule to determine the direction of torque and angular momentum in a given problem. The main point of discussion is the direction of the position vector in the torque equation and how it affects the sign of the torque. The conversation also mentions the conservation of angular momentum and how it relates to the motion of a cylinder under the influence of a force.
warhammer
My doubt is with Method 2 of the given example in KK.

I'm unable to understand why the torque around A (where we have chosen a coordinate system at A) becomes zero due to the R x F in z direction with a minus sign {Photo Attached}

I have tried to reason out that one way to formulate that term is R (perpendicular) which turns out to be 'b' essentially and is perpendicular to the line of action i.e. force. Employing the Right Hand Rule and curling the fingers from R perp to F we would get a torque in the upward/ +ve z direction so how come the value in the attached photo is having a minus sign?

Please help me out.

Attachments

• 20210317_024545.jpg
    20210317_024545.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 119
Physics news on Phys.org
warhammer said:
Right Hand Rule
Another reason I prefer the corkscrew rule.

I can't get my fingers to accommodate R and F with this picture (Wikipedia) so I have to get up and twist my whole upper body :biggrin:

1615935667448.png
so I will use ## \vec R\times \vec F = - \vec F \times \vec R\ ##
In the picture ##\vec F = a\ \ ,\ \ \vec R = b\ ## so ##\vec F \times \vec R\ ## points up from the page to the viewer and ## \vec R\times \vec F\ ## points into the page, i.e. in the minus z direction. (*)

Corkscrew is easier: rotate the thing from ## \vec R\ ## to ## \vec F \ ## over the smallest angle and it goes into the page.(*) I have a hunch that is your only mistake ( z is towards you instead of away ) ?

##\ ##

Likes warhammer and Lnewqban
In the torque equation ##\vec \tau=\vec r \times \vec F##, position vector ##\vec r## is from the origin to the point of application of the force, not to the center of the wheel.

Likes warhammer and BvU
I agree. So what does K&K maen ?

To avoid making mistakes, it is often useful to denote by a subscript the point about which a moment, or an angular momentum, has been taken. For instance, relative to a coordinate frame with origin ##\mathcal{O}##, the moment of a force ##\mathbf{F}## applied to a point ##\mathcal{P}## in the body is ##\mathbf{M}_{\mathcal{O}} := \overrightarrow{\mathcal{OP}} \times \mathbf{F}##.

To give an example, in this problem you can construct two coordinate frames ##(O; \boldsymbol{e}_x, \boldsymbol{e}_y, \boldsymbol{e}_z)## and ##(A; \boldsymbol{e}_x, \boldsymbol{e}_y, \boldsymbol{e}_z)##, where ##O## is at the centre of the wheel and ##A## is as in the figure. Denote the point where force is applied as ##P##. Because ##\overrightarrow{AO} + \overrightarrow{OP} = \overrightarrow{AP}##, you may write$$\mathbf{M}_{A} = \overrightarrow{AP} \times \mathbf{F} = (\overrightarrow{AO} + \overrightarrow{OP}) \times \mathbf{F} = \overrightarrow{AO} \times \mathbf{F} + \overrightarrow{OP} \times \mathbf{F}$$But since ##\mathbf{M}_{O} = \overrightarrow{OP} \times \mathbf{F}##, you can re-write this as$$\mathbf{M}_{A} = \overrightarrow{AO} \times \mathbf{F} + \mathbf{M}_O$$As a final step, you can take the inner product of both sides with the basis vector ##\boldsymbol{e}_z## (the one pointing out of the page) to obtain an equation on the ##z##-components.

Likes BvU, warhammer and Lnewqban
BvU said:
If the torque is zero about A, K&K conclude that the angular momentum about point A is conserved. Then they proceed to find an expression for the angular momentum, namely ##L_z=I_0 \omega-bMV.## Approaches (a) and (b) to the solution of this problem work together to show that although the velocity of the CM increases and the cylinder spins faster under the action of the force, the difference between the "spin" angular momentum ##I_0 \omega## and the "orbital" angular momentum ##bMV## is fixed.

Likes BvU, warhammer and Lnewqban
warhammer said:
Employing the Right Hand Rule and curling the fingers from R perp to F we would get a torque in the upward/ +ve z direction
Are you sure that you are using the the direction of R vector?

BvU said:
Another reason I prefer the corkscrew rule.

I can't get my fingers to accommodate R and F with this picture (Wikipedia) so I have to get up and twist my whole upper body :biggrin:

so I will use ## \vec R\times \vec F = - \vec F \times \vec R\ ##
In the picture ##\vec F = a\ \ ,\ \ \vec R = b\ ## so ##\vec F \times \vec R\ ## points up from the page to the viewer and ## \vec R\times \vec F\ ## points into the page, i.e. in the minus z direction. (*)

Corkscrew is easier: rotate the thing from ## \vec R\ ## to ## \vec F \ ## over the smallest angle and it goes into the page.(*) I have a hunch that is your only mistake ( z is towards you instead of away ) ?

##\ ##

Sorry for such a late response. Thank you so much for helping me out. I was able to figure it out upon using your strategy. Yes, that was the only mistake I was committing, as correctly gauged by you.
BvU said:

I used a shorthand to denote the famed text "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner & Kolenkow :)

Likes BvU
warhammer said:
I used a shorthand to denote the famed text "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Kleppner & Kolenkow :)
My question is ambiguous :nb) ! I meant: what do K&K try to tell us ? And @etotheipi (=##-##1, with a new Magritte avatar, probably from Wald's book, judging by the colors...) explained very well. And so did @kuruman.

##\ ##

Likes kuruman
BvU said:
My question is ambiguous :nb) ! I meant: what do K&K try to tell us ? And @etotheipi (=##-##1, with a new Magritte avatar, probably from Wald's book, judging by the colors...) explained very well. And so did @kuruman.

##\ ##
It looks like @etotheipi got a promotion from specifically less than nothing (-1) to something more general. :oldlaugh:

Screen Shot 2021-03-20 at 8.42.46 AM.png

I liked the previous avatar !

1616248350683.png

##\ ##

1. What is the difference between translation and rotation?

Translation refers to the movement of an object from one point to another in a straight line, while rotation refers to the movement of an object around a fixed axis or point.

2. How is translational motion described mathematically?

Translational motion is described using the equations of motion, which include distance, velocity, and acceleration. These equations can be used to calculate the position, speed, and acceleration of an object at any given time.

3. What is the relationship between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line, while angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular position. The two are related by the radius of rotation, where linear velocity is equal to the angular velocity multiplied by the radius.

4. How does rotational motion affect an object's moment of inertia?

Rotational motion affects an object's moment of inertia, which is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. The moment of inertia increases as the mass and distribution of mass in an object increases, making it more difficult to rotate.

5. Can an object have both translational and rotational motion?

Yes, an object can have both translational and rotational motion at the same time. This is known as rolling motion, where an object moves in a combination of translation and rotation, such as a wheel rolling along the ground.