Motorcycle Q#1: Right Foot Peg Touching Road During Turn

• Thread starter Julian Solos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motorcycle
In summary, if you hear your motorcycle's foot peg touching the road surface during a turn, you can either increase the throttle or hang off the bike to the right to rectify the situation and avoid going off the road. These actions will lift the bike up and increase ground clearance, allowing you to maintain a tight turning circle. It is important to act quickly and use proper technique to avoid accidents.
Julian Solos
Motorcycle Question #1:

Entering a sweeping right turn on a country road a little too hot, you have to lean your bike a lot to your right to negotiate the turn. During the turn you hear the right foot peg of your motorcycle start touching the road surface. You instinctively raise your body (to your left) away from the turn hoping to raise the bike away from the road surface. What will happen next?

Physics news on Phys.org
You push down on the bike to raise yourself up. You go up a little, the bike goes down a little. Peg digs a gouge in the road and you go flying.

Njorl

Originally posted by Julian Solos
Motorcycle Question #1:

Entering a sweeping right turn on a country road a little too hot, you have to lean your bike a lot to your right to negotiate the turn. During the turn you hear the right foot peg of your motorcycle start touching the road surface. You instinctively raise your body (to your left) away from the turn hoping to raise the bike away from the road surface. What will happen next?

You go off the road as your turning circle has increased!

You can do one of two things to rectify the situation:

1) Get the throttle on (if it isn't already) and if it is, give it some more. This lifts the bike up on the suspension and increases ground clearance.

2) Hang off the bike to the right, and move the bike up a little. Your overhanging mass keeps the turning circle tight, but removes the peg from the ground.

Hope this helps
Adrian Baker
250cc Classic Racing Motorcycle Club Champion 2003!

Related to Motorcycle Q#1: Right Foot Peg Touching Road During Turn

1. Why does my right foot peg touch the road during a turn on my motorcycle?

The most likely reason for this is that you are leaning too far into the turn. When turning on a motorcycle, you need to shift your body weight towards the inside of the turn to maintain balance. If you are not leaning enough, your bike will not be able to make the turn and your foot peg may touch the ground.

2. Is it dangerous if my right foot peg touches the road during a turn?

In most cases, it is not dangerous as long as you are not going too fast and you have proper protection on your foot peg. However, it is important to practice proper technique and avoid touching the ground as it can affect your balance and stability on the bike.

3. Can I adjust my motorcycle to prevent my right foot peg from touching the road during turns?

Yes, you can adjust the suspension and the height of your foot pegs to help prevent them from touching the road during turns. However, it is important to note that your technique and body positioning play a bigger role in preventing this issue.

4. What are some tips for avoiding my right foot peg from touching the road during turns?

First, make sure you are shifting your body weight towards the inside of the turn. Keep your body relaxed and allow the bike to lean into the turn. Practice proper cornering techniques and avoid excessive speed. You can also try adjusting your body position and foot placement on the pegs.

5. Should I be concerned if my right foot peg touches the road frequently during turns?

If it happens occasionally, it is not a cause for concern. However, if it happens frequently, it could indicate an underlying issue with your technique or bike setup. It is important to address any recurring issues and seek guidance from a professional rider or mechanic if needed.