Mounting fire / smoke alarms with magnets

In summary: is an external magnetic field, it will distort the field inside the magnet, which could cause it to fail.
Franly
I am building a detachable smoke detector that I'm planning to install with magnets. I am concerned about the safety using this method, because of my knowledge of how magnets react to / affect heat and smoke. I wouldn't risk having the alarm detach itself during a fire, or the magnet to interfere with the smoke. Can someone here explain to me whether this would be a viable solution or not?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
The magnet will release when the temperature of the magnet, or the magnetic material the magnet is attracted to, exceeds the curie point. The plastic case will have melted long before that will happen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature

Might the presence of the magnets prevent the detector functioning? The magnetic field will be largely restricted to the magnetic path of the attachment, so it is unlikely.

Photoelectric detectors sense smoke early, while ionisation detectors sense the product of later flame.
There should be no problem if you use a photoelectric detector as they should be immune to magnetic fields.

Ionisation detectors may be effected since the path taken by a charged particle will be influenced by magnetic fields. But the balanced ionisation chambers will probably cancel any magnetic distortion. Depending on jurisdiction, a smoke detector may be prohibited if it has a replaceable battery, or employs an ionisation detector.

Likes davenn and Franly
To minimize potential problems, just be sure to use a magnet that has a closed magnetic path when attached to the ferrous metal surface. Horseshoe magnets (regular or cylindrical) have this property, for example.

BTW, not many walls have ferrous metal in them (unless this application is for a ship). Are you intending to attach this detector to some metal appliance like a refrigerator or dishwasher?

Cylindrical Horseshoe Magnet:

https://www.imagnetshop.com/661-large_default/19-ima731.jpg

1576679076408.png

Likes Franly
To fulfill its mission, the device should give the alarm long before the temperature becomes hot enough to reach the curie temperature, or hot enough to melt the plastic. After the alarm is given and the people (hopefully) evacuate, nobody cares if the smoke alarm keeps beeping as the structure burns.

Likes Franly
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.
The magnet will release when the temperature of the magnet, or the magnetic material the magnet is attracted to, exceeds the curie point. The plastic case will have melted long before that will happen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curie_temperature

Might the presence of the magnets prevent the detector functioning? The magnetic field will be largely restricted to the magnetic path of the attachment, so it is unlikely.

Photoelectric detectors sense smoke early, while ionisation detectors sense the product of later flame.
There should be no problem if you use a photoelectric detector as they should be immune to magnetic fields.

Ionisation detectors may be effected since the path taken by a charged particle will be influenced by magnetic fields. But the balanced ionisation chambers will probably cancel any magnetic distortion. Depending on jurisdiction, a smoke detector may be prohibited if it has a replaceable battery, or employs an ionisation detector.
Thanks, both for the welcome and the thorough answer!

Correct me if I'm wrong, what I get from this is that as long as I use a photoelectric detector, the magnets won't influence the detection performance and the magnets will hold until they exceed the curie point - which means that it will be long after a fire alarm has served its purpose and would have melted anyway?

Likes davenn
berkeman said:
To minimize potential problems, just be sure to use a magnet that has a closed magnetic path when attached to the ferrous metal surface. Horseshoe magnets (regular or cylindrical) have this property, for example.

BTW, not many walls have ferrous metal in them (unless this application is for a ship). Are you intending to attach this detector to some metal appliance like a refrigerator or dishwasher?
I was actually intending to use a flat cylindrical magnet, but didn't know that it would minimize potential problems. Could you please elaborate on this, explaining me what pro's and con's there would be using a "normal" magnet to a cylindrical one?

I intend to have a ceiling plate attached with screws. This plate is equipped with the magnet that the detector attaches to.

anorlunda said:
To fulfill its mission, the device should give the alarm long before the temperature becomes hot enough to reach the curie temperature, or hot enough to melt the plastic. After the alarm is given and the people (hopefully) evacuate, nobody cares if the smoke alarm keeps beeping as the structure burns.
Great point, thanks!

Franly said:
I was actually intending to use a flat cylindrical magnet, but didn't know that it would minimize potential problems. Could you please elaborate on this, explaining me what pro's and con's there would be using a "normal" magnet to a cylindrical one?
The important point is that the magnetic field be confined to the magnet and the ferrous plate it is stuck to, and that the external fringe field is very small. If there are any inductive components in your circuit (inductors, cores, etc.) that use ferrite in their construction, external stray DC magnetic fields can alter their performance and potentially cause the circuit to not work well or fail altogether.

Horseshoe shaped magnets have such a property when they are attached to a ferrous surface. "Horseshoe" magnets come in different configurations, from the traditional U-shaped version to the cylindrical version that I posted a picture of. You can also get cylindrical magnets where the two poles are coaxial, with a center pole surrounded by a peripheral pole:

https://www.magnetics.com/product.asp?ProductID=42

1576690352066.png

While a "horseshoe" type magnet is not attached to anything, there are still stray fields that can interfere with the operation of inductive circuits that contain ferrite. I don't know if that's an issue in your appliation or not. One solution to that is to add a "keeper" piece of ferrous metal that attaches to the magnet on the product when it is not mounted on anything.

Field when not attached to anything:

https://cpb-us-e1.wpmucdn.com/sites...5/hsmagnet-142sair-e1547587903347-300x300.jpg

1576690504872.png

Field when attached to ferrous metal:

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=why-horseshoes

1576690609230.png

Compared to the external stray field of a regular bar magnet (yikes!):

1576690799712.png

anorlunda said:
To fulfill its mission, the device should give the alarm long before the temperature becomes hot enough to reach the curie temperature

The Curie temperature for iron is 1400F. By that point, I would hope everyone is already out of the building.

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic, davenn and anorlunda

1. How do I mount fire/smoke alarms with magnets?

To mount fire/smoke alarms with magnets, first ensure that the magnets are strong enough to hold the weight of the alarm. Then, attach one magnet to the wall or ceiling and the other to the back of the alarm. Make sure the magnets are aligned properly and securely attached.

2. Can I use any type of magnet to mount fire/smoke alarms?

No, it is important to use strong, industrial-grade magnets for mounting fire/smoke alarms. Regular household magnets may not be strong enough to hold the weight of the alarm and could potentially fall off, rendering the alarm useless.

3. Are there any safety concerns with using magnets to mount fire/smoke alarms?

As long as the magnets are strong enough and properly attached, there should not be any safety concerns with using them to mount fire/smoke alarms. However, it is always important to regularly check and test your alarms to ensure they are functioning properly.

4. Can I mount fire/smoke alarms with magnets on any surface?

While magnets can be used to mount alarms on most surfaces, it is important to ensure that the surface is clean and smooth. Rough or uneven surfaces may not provide a strong enough hold for the magnets.

5. Will using magnets to mount fire/smoke alarms affect their functionality?

No, using magnets to mount fire/smoke alarms should not affect their functionality as long as the magnets are strong enough and properly attached. However, it is always important to regularly test your alarms to ensure they are functioning properly.