Mousetrap race car is not working

In summary, the group built a mousetrap but it doesn't work because the axle is too thin and the wheel spins too fast. They changed the mechanism to cardboard and it worked.
Cheesycheese213
Hello, so for school I'm building a mousetrap with my group for a project, but our car isn't moving. We filmed it snapping, and it doesn't seem like it is because of friction, since the axle spins pretty well. We thought that it was because the thing that holds the axle bends, but after fixing it, it still doesn't roll. We tested it without the mousetrap being set, but when pushing the dowel towards where the mousetrap would snap, it did not move the wheels or the axle. We noticed that when pushing it back, it did roll. I have a picture of it set, but we're not quite sure why it still doesn't work. Could anyone help? Thanks!
upload_2017-2-28_18-51-10.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Oops did I post this in the wrong place? Sorry!

Since the axis spin, it's likely a problem with friction. Have you considered to test it on a different surface, or clue some rubber like tires on the wheels?

We looked at it again, but the axle doesn't spin at all, the string just pulls it up, and then down. But, when we wound it the other way (the way the wheels would roll), the wheels spun, just in the wrong direction. Do you think we attached the mousetrap on the wrong way? Thanks so much!

Difficult to tell from the picture, but go ahead and test it. It's probably sufficient to change the direction of the winding rather than to turn the trap. The principle is simple: the energy stored in the spring has to be transported to the axis. so it's always a matter of traction and friction.

Oh okay thank you so much!

The release of the stored energy is probably very sudden. So either you invent some delay mechanism to get an energy supply for a longer time period, an intermediate storage if you will, e.g. a ribbon that get spun first and releases its energy afterwards, or you must ensure there will be no wheel spins anywhere, neither on the cords you use, nor on the axis. It's the same effect as with spinning wheels in car races.

And watch out your fingers! :wink:

Likes Cheesycheese213
I see! Thank you so so much! :smile:

I cannot see from your diagram where the string goes. It looks like it passes under a pulley of some sort mounted on the front axle, then proceeds to a bobbin at the rear, but not in a straight line.
Please explain the structure there.

Now it drives, but it didn't move far. We noticed that after the highest point the dowel goes to on the mousetrap, it stops pulling the string. Did we do something wrong? Thanks!

It is attached to one side of the axle, the right side, and there aren't really any pulleys, or anything, it is just attached to the axle. Thanks!

We aren't quite sure why it doesn't work, but we think it is because the axle is too thin, and the wheel spins too fast. The axle is made of one of those barbecue skewers, and the car is about 30 by 12 cm

Sorry for bothering again, but we changed the thing attaching the axle to the chassis to cardboard, and now when we pull the string the wheels won't spin that much, maybe 3 rotations before they stop. Is this because there is too much friction or is it still the mousetrap? And if it is, how should we fix it? Thanks!

I think you need to provide some drawings of the mechanism so that others can evaluate it. Just saying you changed something and it doesn't work doesn't provide enough information for any meaningful discussion.

It looks like a very strange design. It looks like the spring-rod is pulling the string mostly in a direction that is perpendicular to the string, so it isn't really applying much tension to the string. A lot of movement is wasted in slack motion of the string.

Khashishi said:
It looks like a very strange design. It looks like the spring-rod is pulling the string mostly in a direction that is perpendicular to the string, so it isn't really applying much tension to the string. A lot of movement is wasted in slack motion of the string.
I'm sorry (I'm dumb), but I don't really understand what you mean? Thanks!

It worked! Thank you everyone!

What could be causing my mousetrap race car to not work?

There are a few potential reasons why your mousetrap race car is not working. One possibility is that the mousetrap itself is not set correctly, so it is not providing enough force to propel the car. Another possibility is that the wheels are not attached securely or are not aligned properly, causing the car to veer off course. Additionally, there may be too much friction between the wheels and the surface, hindering the car's movement.

How can I improve the performance of my mousetrap race car?

To improve the performance of your mousetrap race car, there are a few things you can try. First, make sure the mousetrap is set correctly and has enough tension to provide a strong force. You can also experiment with different wheel sizes and materials to find the best combination for your car. Additionally, consider reducing friction by using lubricants or polishing the wheels.

What is the best design for a mousetrap race car?

The best design for a mousetrap race car will depend on many factors, including the specific competition rules, the materials available, and personal preferences. Generally, a lighter and aerodynamic car with a strong and well-set mousetrap will have a better chance of winning. It's important to test and refine your design to find the optimal balance between weight, aerodynamics, and propulsion.

How can I make my mousetrap race car faster?

There are several ways to make your mousetrap race car faster. Some strategies include reducing weight by using lightweight materials, improving aerodynamics through careful shaping and streamlining, and maximizing the force of the mousetrap by setting it correctly and minimizing friction. Additionally, you can experiment with different wheel sizes and materials to find the best combination for speed.

What are common mistakes to avoid when building a mousetrap race car?

Some common mistakes to avoid when building a mousetrap race car include not setting the mousetrap correctly, using too heavy or poorly balanced materials, and not paying attention to aerodynamics and friction. It's also important to follow any competition rules and guidelines carefully to avoid disqualification. Additionally, make sure to test and refine your design before the competition to avoid any unexpected issues on race day.