MSci or BSc in Physics? - Advice for a 29 Year Old

In summary, a 29-year-old student is considering switching from a BSc to an MSci, as offered by one of their professors. They are unsure if the MSci will significantly improve their employment prospects compared to a BSc, and are not interested in pursuing research or teaching. They are seeking advice from individuals with experience in graduate employment. The student's preferred field is physics, although they are not sure what specific job they would like. Some suggest that a MSci may be beneficial for certain jobs, such as teaching at community colleges or working in government labs, but for others, it may not offer much of an advantage over a BSc. Ultimately, the decision should depend on the student's career goals and the opportunities available in
jpjosey
I'm a little stuck in making this decision. I'm 29 years old and about to enter year 4 of my degree. Initially this was supposed to be me final year, since I opted for the BSc to get into employment ASAP.

One of my professors has contacted me to offer me a place in the MSci should I wish to change my mind - highlighting the benefits of the MSci.

From what I gather the MSci is the obvious choice if you wish to continue academically and start a PhD. Since the teaching staff at my university have all gone this path, I figured it would be best to come here and get some advice from people with a more employment-based background.

Is a 31 year old with a MSci going to have considerably better employment prospects than a 30 year old with a BSc? For me the degree has always been a means to an end, I'm doing it for the qualification - so I can get into employment in my preferred field.

My patience with the academic process is already wearing thin, and I'm ready to get into employment now. Of course I'll go through the motions to get the degree, but I'm wondering if I'd be making a dire mistake by passing up the offer of the MSci.

Any thoughts on this from first-hand experience in graduate employment would be appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jpjosey said:
I'm a little stuck in making this decision. I'm 29 years old and about to enter year 4 of my degree. Initially this was supposed to be me final year, since I opted for the BSc to get into employment ASAP.

One of my professors has contacted me to offer me a place in the MSci should I wish to change my mind - highlighting the benefits of the MSci.

From what I gather the MSci is the obvious choice if you wish to continue academically and start a PhD. Since the teaching staff at my university have all gone this path, I figured it would be best to come here and get some advice from people with a more employment-based background.

Is a 31 year old with a MSci going to have considerably better employment prospects than a 30 year old with a BSc? For me the degree has always been a means to an end, I'm doing it for the qualification - so I can get into employment in my preferred field.

My patience with the academic process is already wearing thin, and I'm ready to get into employment now. Of course I'll go through the motions to get the degree, but I'm wondering if I'd be making a dire mistake by passing up the offer of the MSci.

Any thoughts on this from first-hand experience in graduate employment would be appreciated.

Thanks

What are you majoring in? That's an important piece of information. If you're an engineer you can go pretty far with just a bachelors and enter into just about any field. If you're majoring in physics you need at least a masters from what I've seen here and people o know personally

From what I have read, you should go for the B.Sc then move on to Ph.D and along the way to earning your Ph.D you can obtain your M.Sc if you wish, as during a doctoral program you should fulfill the requirements for a M.Sc.

This is just based on what I have read, I am yet to start college, so please correct me if I am wrong.

This is for the USA: Depending on the jobs you are looking for, a Masters might help. Particularly if you are looking for teaching jobs at community colleges, lab tech positions at government labs, or lab assistant/lecturer jobs at four year colleges.

For many other jobs, a Masters doesn't cut it and you need a Ph.D. For many other jobs, a Masters doesn't really get you anything more than a B.S. would. It's hard to say. If you could land some type of internship or co-op as part of your Masters, or instead of your Masters, I think that would improve your chances of employment more than the actual degree.

So what is your preferred field? Does your department have ties to industry in that field?

Thank you all for the input so far. To clear a few things up:

I'm in the UK, my course is just BSc Physics, no major as such.

As for my preferred field, I just mean Physics in general (as opposed to having no qualifications). As for the job I'd like, I'm not entirely sure. I know I don't want to go into research or teaching though - that's why I'm dubious about the pay-off another year of study will grant me.

jpjosey said:
Thank you all for the input so far. To clear a few things up:

I'm in the UK, my course is just BSc Physics, no major as such.

As for my preferred field, I just mean Physics in general (as opposed to having no qualifications). As for the job I'd like, I'm not entirely sure. I know I don't want to go into research or teaching though - that's why I'm dubious about the pay-off another year of study will grant me.
If you have no intentions on doing research or teaching, then I would say a M.Sc would do you just fine for the most part, it really depends on the kind of job you want, since you aren't sure yet, but from what I've seen, jobs that require doctorates are research and teaching, maybe a few other things. For jobs outside of that spectrum, I would think a masters would suit you fine.

blokpoi said:
If you have no intentions on doing research or teaching, then I would say a M.Sc would do you just fine for the most part, it really depends on the kind of job you want, since you aren't sure yet, but from what I've seen, jobs that require doctorates are research and teaching, maybe a few other things. For jobs outside of that spectrum, I would think a masters would suit you fine.

What I'm wondering is if the BSc will be sufficient. The question is whether the MSci is going to be worth the extra year of hoop-jumping.

jpjosey said:
What I'm wondering is if the BSc will be sufficient. The question is whether the MSci is going to be worth the extra year of hoop-jumping.
Personally, I think that the M.Sc is a must, to get a higher salary, (this being dependent on if you care about money or not, of course.) as well to get some jobs. Some places I believe require a masters or higher. I think that a B.Sc wouldn't be sufficient, but again, its dependent on what you want to do, how much money you care about, etc.. (liking school is probably a deciding factor to some people)

What kind of masters is it? If its just a generic physics masters where you study Jackson, Goldstein, etc. then I don't think it would be worth much to an employer. If it has some specific skill set, job training or internship like a professional scientist masters degree then I think it could be worthwhile.

Like I said above, unless you want to end up at a government lab like NIST or LANL as some kind of technician/operator, or a lecturer at a 4 year college (the people who help set up lab sessions), I don't think a Masters in physics will get you much.

What kind of jobs are you looking at?

For the most part a BSc is fine, however for more physics specific things the MSci, or at least a masters level qualification, is becoming increasingly important.

What is the difference between an MSci and a BSc in Physics?

An MSci (Master of Science) in Physics is a more advanced degree that typically takes 4-5 years to complete, while a BSc (Bachelor of Science) in Physics is an undergraduate degree that takes 3-4 years to complete. An MSci program typically includes more advanced coursework and research opportunities, and may also require a thesis or project. This degree is often preferred for those planning to pursue a career in research or academia.

Which degree is better for a 29 year old looking to study Physics?

This depends on your individual goals and circumstances. If you are looking to enter the workforce or pursue a career in a specific field, a BSc may be a better option as it can be completed in a shorter amount of time. However, if you are interested in pursuing a career in research or academia, an MSci may provide more opportunities for advancement and specialization.

Will my age be a disadvantage when pursuing a degree in Physics?

No, age should not be a disadvantage when pursuing a degree in Physics. Many students in undergraduate and graduate programs are in their late 20s and beyond. Your enthusiasm, dedication, and hard work are more important factors in your success in the program.

What advice do you have for a 29 year old starting a Physics degree?

My advice would be to make the most of your time in the program by staying organized, managing your time effectively, and seeking help when needed. It may also be beneficial to connect with other students and professors in the program to build a support network and take advantage of research and networking opportunities. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions and be proactive in your learning.

What career opportunities are available with a degree in Physics?

A degree in Physics can lead to a variety of career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, data analysis, finance, education, and more. Some popular job titles for physics graduates include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, teacher, and medical physicist. The skills and knowledge gained from a degree in Physics are highly transferable and can be applied to a wide range of industries and professions.