Multivariable analysis textbooks

In summary, the conversation discusses various textbooks recommended for studying multivariable calculus. The books mentioned include "Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms" by Hubbard and Hubbard, "Stewart Calculus" which is often used in courses, and "The Elements of Real Analysis" by Bartle. It is mentioned that the Bartle book is more challenging than "Understanding Analysis" by Abbott and may not be suitable for a calculus course. It is also recommended to check the book assigned by the university.
Santiago24
Hi! the next semester i'll take a course on multivariable calculus but i'd like to study it now. I've "Principles of mathematical analysis" by W.Rudin but i heard that the sections about this are hard to read. If there is a textbook like "Understading analysis" by Stephen Abbott but in multivariable version i really i'd like to read it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you able to do problems from Abbot?

There is a nice book by Hubbard and Hubbard called Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms.

My class on Multivariable Calculus was based on Stewart Calculus. It is an applied book, but served its purpose. That is usually the standard for a multivariable calculus course in the calculus sequence.

Theres also The Elements of Real Analysis by Bartle. I read it due to not really understanding anything past a certain point in Spivak: Calculus on Manifolds.

Bartle is more of an Analysis book. It is bit more harder to read then Abbot. Ie., it has examples you actually have to read /re-reread / and work out. I am hesitant to recommend this for a calculus course.

I think Hubbard Hubbard would be the better option... Maybe look at Stewart for more computational exercises or the book assigned by your University.

Likes vanhees71 and Santiago24
MidgetDwarf said:
Are you able to do problems from Abbot?

There is a nice book by Hubbard and Hubbard called Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms.

My class on Multivariable Calculus was based on Stewart Calculus. It is an applied book, but served its purpose. That is usually the standard for a multivariable calculus course in the calculus sequence.

Theres also The Elements of Real Analysis by Bartle. I read it due to not really understanding anything past a certain point in Spivak: Calculus on Manifolds.

Bartle is more of an Analysis book. It is bit more harder to read then Abbot. Ie., it has examples you actually have to read /re-reread / and work out. I am hesitant to recommend this for a calculus course.

I think Hubbard Hubbard would be the better option... Maybe look at Stewart for more computational exercises or the book assigned by your University.
Yes i can do the problems from Abbot book. I'll check this books, thanks!

What is multivariable analysis?

Multivariable analysis is a statistical method used to analyze and understand the relationships between multiple variables in a dataset. It is commonly used in scientific research to identify patterns and trends in complex data sets.

Why is multivariable analysis important?

Multivariable analysis allows scientists to examine the effects of multiple variables on a particular outcome or phenomenon. It can help identify which variables have the greatest impact and how they interact with each other.

What types of data are suitable for multivariable analysis?

Multivariable analysis can be used with any type of data, including numerical, categorical, and continuous data. However, the data should be independent and have a linear relationship with the outcome variable.

What are some common techniques used in multivariable analysis?

Some common techniques used in multivariable analysis include linear regression, logistic regression, ANOVA, and factor analysis. Each technique has its own strengths and limitations, and the choice of technique depends on the research question and type of data being analyzed.

Are there any limitations to multivariable analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to multivariable analysis, such as the assumption of linearity and the potential for multicollinearity. It is important to carefully consider the data and choose appropriate techniques to avoid biased or inaccurate results.