Multivariable Chain rule for higher order derivatives

In summary, the conversation is about expressing first and second order derivatives of a function f = f(a,b,t), given that a=a(b) and b=b(t) and using the chain rule. The first order derivatives can be expressed as \frac{\partial f}{\partial a} and \frac{\partial f}{\partial b}, while the total derivative \frac{df}{dt} can be expressed using the chain rule as \frac{\partial f}{\partial a} \frac{da}{db} \frac{db}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial b} \frac{db}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial t}. However, expressing \frac{\partial
Sunfire
Hello,

Given is the function

f = f(a,b,t), where a=a(b) and b = b(t). Need to express first and second order derivatives.

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial b}[/itex] should be just that, nothing more to it here, correct?

But

[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}[/itex] [itex]\frac{da}{db}[/itex] [itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial b}[/itex] [itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/itex], by the chain rule, correct?

I need to express [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/itex], but the above chain rule puts the total derivative [itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex] in the expression and it gets messy. I mean, how do I express

[itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}[/itex]?

Then I need also [itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial t^2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial a^2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial b^2}[/itex].

Anyone well versed in partial derivatives?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me try to clear it up a bit

Let f = f(a,b,t) where a=a(b(t)), b=b(t)

Then

[itex]\frac{df}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{∂f}{∂a}[/itex][itex]\frac{da}{db}[/itex][itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂b}[/itex][itex]\frac{db}{dt}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{∂f}{∂t}[/itex], correct?

How does one express

[itex]\frac{d^2f}{dt^2}[/itex]=?

Okay, Let me simplify this to

Let f = f(a,b) where a=a(b)

Then

[itex]\frac{df}{db}=\frac{∂f}{∂a}\frac{da}{db} + \frac{∂f}{∂b}[/itex], correct?

How does one express

[itex]\frac{d^2f}{db^2}[/itex]=?

1. What is the Multivariable Chain rule for higher order derivatives?

The Multivariable Chain rule for higher order derivatives is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a composite function with multiple variables. It allows us to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is the Multivariable Chain rule applied in calculus?

The Multivariable Chain rule is applied by taking the derivative of the outer function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function, and then multiplying it by the derivative of the innermost function. This process can be repeated for higher order derivatives.

3. Why is the Multivariable Chain rule important in calculus?

The Multivariable Chain rule is important because it allows us to find the derivative of complex functions that involve multiple variables. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, such as physics, economics, and engineering.

4. Can the Multivariable Chain rule be extended to more than two variables?

Yes, the Multivariable Chain rule can be extended to functions with any number of variables. The general formula for the Multivariable Chain rule for higher order derivatives can be applied to functions with any number of variables, making it a versatile tool in calculus.

5. What are the limitations of the Multivariable Chain rule?

The Multivariable Chain rule can become computationally complex for functions with multiple variables and higher order derivatives. It also assumes that the functions involved are differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Therefore, it is important to understand the limitations and applicability of the Multivariable Chain rule when using it in calculus.