Can Muons Propel Objects in Science Fiction?

• Thread starter Dreamcat
  • Start date
Dreamcat
I am a musician, show producer and writer. I have always had a great interest in physics and have tried to do home study on subjects relating to it. I am writing a new book and was thinking about one of my characters using muons to propel an object or an energy wave towards someone to harm or destroy them. Bear in mind, this is a FICTION book and not a wish of mine to truly see. I just wanted to make sure my own physics was sound enough to intelligently utilize this in a science fiction manner. It does not have to be a proven fact that this can be done right now but in a science fiction projected way for FICTION. Also, I just want to increase my knowledge of this wonderful science!

Physics news on Phys.org
To "push" any subatomic particle to harmful speeds you will need a particle accelerator. Once you have one I'm not sure it matters WHAT subatomic particle you use, they're all deadly if you get them going fast enough.

Using them to push something other than themselves however does not seem like the best idea. Just use a particle beam directly.

Muons are hard to make and have a short lifetime.
Why use a real particle with undesirable properties and try and shoehorn it in? Why not make up what you want? Call it the "Dreamcat Effect" and be done with it.

It's better to use Meowons. Your book will sell more if it involves tiny cats pushing your spaceship around. In terms of scientific accuracy, it's about the same.

• Haha
Likes phinds
Dreamcat said:
I am a musician, show producer and writer. I have always had a great interest in physics and have tried to do home study on subjects relating to it. I am writing a new book and was thinking about one of my characters using muons to propel an object or an energy wave towards someone to harm or destroy them. Bear in mind, this is a FICTION book and not a wish of mine to truly see. I just wanted to make sure my own physics was sound enough to intelligently utilize this in a science fiction manner. It does not have to be a proven fact that this can be done right now but in a science fiction projected way for FICTION. Also, I just want to increase my knowledge of this wonderful science!
2012 is a great film.
The reason the world is ending is because neutrinos emitted from the sun have “mutated” and are heating up the earths core destabilizing the crust.
Neutrinos do not interact with other particles (readily) with and only have a very small mass so do not really do much let alone heat up the earths core.
Mutation happens to DNA & RNA, molecules NOT particles.

So ,the plot is preposterous but the film was still great.

Hydrogen is abundant, your gun extracts moisture from the air, strips the Hydrogen from water and your nano accelerator beam fires a proton bunch at your target.

1. What is the main premise of "Muons in Fiction: A Musician's Journey to Learn Physics"?

The main premise of "Muons in Fiction: A Musician's Journey to Learn Physics" is a musician's exploration of the world of physics through the lens of muons, a type of subatomic particle.

2. Is "Muons in Fiction" a work of fiction or non-fiction?

"Muons in Fiction" is a work of non-fiction, as it is based on real-life experiences and scientific concepts.

3. What inspired the author to write about muons and their connection to music?

The author, a musician and physicist, was inspired to write about muons and their connection to music after learning about the fascinating properties of these particles and how they interact with sound waves.

4. Are there any musical references or examples included in the book?

Yes, the book includes several musical references and examples, such as the author's personal experiences with music and how it relates to the scientific concepts discussed.

5. Who would benefit from reading "Muons in Fiction"?

Anyone with an interest in physics, music, or the intersection of the two would benefit from reading "Muons in Fiction". It is also a great read for those looking to learn more about muons and their role in the universe.