Musicologist comes up with formula for catchy songs

• Music
  • Thread starter fourier jr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the research found that the best songs are catchy due to longer and detailed musical phrases, a hook over three different pitches, and a number of pitches in the chorus.
fourier jr
... & here it is:

A higher male voice with noticeable vocal effort indicates high energy and purpose, say Pawley and Müllensiefen, particularly when combined with a small vocal range. Both Mercury and rock boss Bon Jovi seem to have the requisite voice qualities.

Otherwise phrase length and pitch complexity are the attributes that make a song catchy.

"Longer and detailed musical phrases – the breath a vocalist takes as they sing a line is crucial to creating a sing-along-able tune," their overtly technical statement explains. "The longer a vocal in one breath, the more likely we are to succumb to a sing-song."

And a final crucial characteristic is the number of pitches in the chorus's hook. And the more the better. "The more sounds there are, the more infectious a song becomes" say the researchers. The ultimate catchy songs combined longer musical phrases and a hook over three different pitches.

& they have a list of the top 10 catchiest songs too
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/09/29/catchiest_song_ever/

this one belongs in the top 10 imho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfUYuIVbFg0

Science news on Phys.org
Hrm. Interesting. The music industry has used a much simpler formula:

16 bars of 4/4 in some permutation of I-IV-V in any key.

I don't know all the songs in that list, but the ones I do know, I agree, they're horrible (top 10 most annoying).

I wouldn't buy it until "musicologist comes up with with their own catchy songs "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KANI2dpXLw

Proton Soup said:
Muppet Video

Plato was right about everything, everything.

Every time I see this thread, I see mucousologist.

fourier jr said:
& they have a list of the top 10 catchiest songs too
Hm. I think I know why so many of the songs are new and not what I'd call wildly generation-spanning popular.

The research ... has been published as part of a campaign to get the kids interested in science and engineering
Better put some on that list that the kids actually know...

P.S.

I really like Queen.

But if I never hear We Are the Champions again as long as I live, it will be too soon.

(Same goes for Queen's Another One Rides the Bus. Surpassed only by Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb and Money)

Last edited by a moderator:
Willowz said:
Plato was right about everything, everything.

& pythagoras!

A Ph.D. in singability?

How did he find a dissertation committee willing to read such a triviality?
Pythagorean said:
Hrm. Interesting. The music industry has used a much simpler formula:

16 bars of 4/4 in some permutation of I-IV-V in any key.

Don't forget the traditional sonata form, too: first verse, chorus, second verse, chorus, bridge, third verse (often with same lyrics as second verse), chorus, coda.

Also, in African-American- or Yiddish-derived music, these's often a relatively flattened third, fifth or seventh note, known as the "blue note" in African-American-derived music, and as the "Jew note" in Yiddish-derived music.

Last edited:
By the way, does anybody know what a "boffin" is?

And a suggestion: if you want your song to be an international hit, instead of actual words, use "Fa la la"-type lyrics (which I call "carrier lyrics"). After all, Native American music traditionally uses only such syllables.

muppet video

I've been rick rolled so much that I actually LIKE that song now! Example: I opened a new window to post this reply so I wouldn't have to interrupt the song.

I don't know how to feel about this...

BadBrain said:
By the way, does anybody know what a "boffin" is?

it's the british word for egghead

Here's the ultimate antidote for a Rick rolling (and one of my personal favorite songs to boot):

Enjoy!

And the formula for how to write a love song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdudKAMOz5s

Here's another formula for writing the perfect mainstream song.

It's from a band called "Status Quid". which is a lampoon of an ancient UK band which I really love called Status Quo, whose new album is called "Quid Pro Quo".

I guess they don't like the new album as much as I do, because here's their piece, entitled: "Boring Song":

For those of you who are too young and/or too far above my social origins to know who "Status Quo" are, here's a cut off their new album, entitled: "Rock 'N' Roll 'N' You":

And, for those of you who are my age, here's an amazing old song of theirs that I'm sure you'll remember:

Related to Musicologist comes up with formula for catchy songs

What is a musicologist?

A musicologist is a person who studies music, its history, theory, and cultural context.

Why would a musicologist come up with a formula for catchy songs?

A musicologist may come up with a formula for catchy songs in order to better understand the elements that make a song appealing to listeners and to improve the success rate of creating hit songs.

What is the formula for catchy songs?

The formula for catchy songs, according to the musicologist, is a combination of simplicity, repetition, and surprise. This means that the song should have a simple and memorable melody, repeated hooks or lyrics, and unexpected elements to keep the listener engaged.

How accurate is the formula for catchy songs?

The accuracy of the formula for catchy songs may vary as it is based on the musicologist's research and observations. It may not apply to all songs or genres, as music is subjective and can have different effects on different individuals.

Can the formula for catchy songs guarantee success?

The formula for catchy songs is not a guarantee for success, as there are many factors that contribute to a song becoming popular. The formula may provide insights and guidelines, but ultimately, the success of a song depends on the audience's taste and the timing of its release.

Back