Mysterious Candle Flame Flickering at Jazz Concert

• Thread starter primal schemer
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker attended a jazz concert and noticed that whenever the drummer hit a certain drum, the flame of a candle on their table would flicker. This happened even when the other instruments were silent and could not be attributed to someone tapping their foot. The speaker's guess is that the frequency of the drum was somehow related to the flame's movement. They also mention the effect of a bass drum making the floor vibrate due to its low frequency. In response, another speaker explains that with higher frequency sounds, the flame moves too quickly to be seen.
primal schemer
Hi All,

I was at a small jazz concert the other day, and was sitting pretty close to the stage. There was a candle on the table i was sitting on, and every time the drummer hit a certain drum, the flame of the candle flickered. There were only three instruments on stage, and the effect occurred even when the other two instuments were silent. Also, I looked, and it wasn`t due to someone tapping their foot or anything like that. and it didn`t seem to happen for any of the other drums / instruments.

So, why was this happenning?

My guess is something to do with the frequency of the drum being somehow related to the flame?

I guess we are all familiar with a large bass sound making the floor of a room vibrate (incidenty, the drum wasn`t the low sounding 'foot' drum (I don`t know the names), but one that he hit with the drumstick). Is this the same effect happening here?

Thanks,

PS

Physics news on Phys.org
The frequency of a bass drum is so low that you can see both ends of the pressure wave go by. With higher frequency sound, the flame waves back and forth so fast (and therefore moves such a small amount) that you can't see it.

Related to Mysterious Candle Flame Flickering at Jazz Concert

1. Why does the candle flame flicker at a jazz concert?

The candle flame flickers at a jazz concert due to the vibrations caused by the music. The sound waves produced by the instruments and vocals create small fluctuations in air pressure, which in turn affects the flame of the candle.

2. Does the type of music affect the candle flame flickering?

Yes, the type of music can affect the candle flame flickering. Jazz music, with its complex rhythms and varying volumes, can cause more noticeable fluctuations in air pressure and therefore result in a more active candle flame compared to other types of music.

3. Can other factors besides music cause a candle flame to flicker at a jazz concert?

Yes, other factors such as air flow, temperature, and humidity can also affect the candle flame at a jazz concert. For example, if there is a draft or air conditioning in the venue, it can cause the flame to flicker more vigorously.

4. Is there a scientific explanation for the connection between music and candle flame flickering?

Yes, the connection between music and candle flame flickering is due to the principle of sound waves and their effect on air pressure. As sound waves travel through the air, they create areas of high and low pressure, which can cause the flame to sway.

5. Can the candle flame flickering at a jazz concert be used for any practical purposes?

While the candle flame flickering at a jazz concert may not have any practical applications, it is an interesting phenomenon to observe and can add to the ambiance of the concert. It can also serve as a reminder of the interconnectedness of different forms of energy in our environment.