Mystery of Shadows in Light - Help Solve the Puzzle!

• Thread starter Chrono_13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: It's just a typical room with a window and a door.The light source is the sun, and it’s a single pane window in the room.
Chrono_13
So I wake up this morning and find this on my floor, peeking out from a door cracked open. Now I’m not scientist but I’m not unfamiliar with the simple workings of physics. I can’t quite pin down what is going on here. I’m familiar with how light can bend around things and I considered the possibility what I could be seeing here is just light reflecting off the white walls of the room inside.

Both possibilities just didn’t feel completely right.

Ahh how simple things in life can be so confounding… I'd appreciate it if someone can help me understand what I'm seeing here.

Attachments

• Wierd.png
    Wierd.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 447
Science news on Phys.org
Hi Chrono, :welcome:

My best guess is there are two light sources at the other side of the door: a window with a stile, or a door and a window.
Hve you ever heard of a pinhole camera ?
Here the narrow door opening might function as a slit camera: not a 2d picture as with the pinhole, but a 1d light/dark stripes pattern.

The light source is the sun, and it’s a single pane window in the room. I am a little familiar with pinhole cameras though I don’t believe that’s what happening here. I’m familiar with the “folding” effect light can have when it gets bent and it makes it appear to create shadows by contrast. But this dark spot is so sharp I can’t explain it with that reasoning.

Without knowing the details of your door and room, we can't say for certain what's causing it.

Chrono_13 said:
The light source is the sun, and it’s a single pane window in the room.

draw a floor plan of your room showing window, door where on the floor this image is in relation to those 2 things

make sure everything is orientated correctlyDave

davenn said:
draw a floor plan of your room showing window, door where on the floor this image is in relation to those 2 things

And it better be straight lines and to scale, or he's getting points taken off!

Likes davenn
Drakkith said:
And it better be straight lines and to scale, or he's getting points taken off!

hahaha

I was thinking photo, but may be difficult to get whole room in unless a wide angle lens is used and scale would then be shocking haha
D

Likes Drakkith
Is it just me but I don't see anything unusual in the photo. Try opening any closing the gap in the door to see how it varies.

1. What is the Mystery of Shadows in Light?

The Mystery of Shadows in Light refers to a scientific puzzle that involves understanding the behavior of shadows in relation to different sources of light. It is a phenomenon that has puzzled scientists for centuries and continues to be an area of ongoing research.

2. Why is it important to solve this puzzle?

Solving the Mystery of Shadows in Light can help us gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of light and shadows, which has practical applications in fields such as photography, architecture, and physics. It can also help us uncover new insights into the nature of light and its interactions with matter.

3. What are some current theories about the Mystery of Shadows in Light?

There are several theories that attempt to explain the phenomenon of shadows in light. Some suggest that shadows are caused by the absence of light, while others propose that they are created by the interference of light waves. However, the exact mechanism behind shadows in light is still a topic of debate among scientists.

4. How can we go about solving this puzzle?

Solving the Mystery of Shadows in Light requires a multi-disciplinary approach, involving the fields of physics, optics, and mathematics. Scientists use a combination of experiments, observations, and mathematical models to gain a better understanding of how light and shadows interact. Collaborative efforts and advancements in technology also play a crucial role in solving this puzzle.

5. What are some potential implications of solving the Mystery of Shadows in Light?

Aside from the practical applications mentioned earlier, solving this puzzle can also lead to a deeper understanding of the nature of light and its role in the universe. It may also open up new avenues for research and technology development, leading to further advancements in various fields.