NACA 0012 lift and drag coefficient.

In summary, the speaker is running a simulation on ANSYS fluent for a NACA 0012 airfoil. The lift coefficient matches published papers, but the drag coefficient is significantly different. The speaker has checked their mesh quality and boundary conditions and found no issues. The other person suggests that calculating drag in CFD is difficult and sensitive, and recommends resolving the sub-layer and accurately capturing the wake of the airfoil. The predictions also depend on the turbulence model used. The speaker mentions that previous literature suggests using at least 25 chord lengths, but they have only used 10 and have encountered problems. They also mention potential interference from factors such as pitot's effect and boundary effect.
maomao39
I am running ANSYS fluent simulation flow over naca 0012 airfoil.
So far the lift coefficient is similar with the published papers.
The problem is drag coefficient is different so much in term of value compared to published papers.
I have check my mesh quality and boundary condition, it shows no problem.
Any idea why drag coefficient is different ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it's the case, but I do know that calculating drag has always been the bane of CFD.

To get the drag correctly, you need to resolve the sub-layer. Your y+ value needs to be around y+=1.0.
Also, drag calculations are sensitive to the downstream vortices and the pressure profile in the far field. You need to accurately capture the wake of the airfoil for at least 10 cord lengths, and the distance to the boundary of the far field needs to be be about the same length. So basically, there is at least 10 cord lengths of mesh in all directions around the airfoil.

Also, the predictions depend a lot on the turbulence model used.

You can still be off by 10-20% though because of the bad prediction of the transition point where the laminar boundary layer becomes turbulent.

From the literature I've seen on ANSYS, at least 25 chord lengths were suggested.

I've done around 10 and had problems before.

I just have done the experiment with NACA0012 finding drag and lift.
I had same problem about the amount of drag force.
but I think there are some interference. for example... pitot's effect, boundary effect...
sorry for weak English.

Related to NACA 0012 lift and drag coefficient.

1. What is the NACA 0012 airfoil?

The NACA 0012 airfoil is a commonly used symmetrical airfoil shape developed by the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA) in the early 1920s. It is widely used in the design of aircraft wings and is known for its high lift and low drag characteristics.

2. What is lift coefficient?

Lift coefficient is a dimensionless coefficient that represents the lift generated by an airfoil. It is a measure of the efficiency of an airfoil in creating lift and is dependent on factors such as airfoil shape, angle of attack, and air density.

3. How is the lift coefficient of NACA 0012 determined?

The lift coefficient of NACA 0012 is determined through wind tunnel testing or computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. These methods involve measuring the lift force on the airfoil at different angles of attack and then calculating the lift coefficient using the lift equation.

4. What is drag coefficient?

Drag coefficient is a dimensionless coefficient that represents the resistance of an object to motion through a fluid, such as air. It is a measure of the efficiency of an airfoil in creating drag and is dependent on factors such as airfoil shape, angle of attack, and air density.

5. How does the drag coefficient of NACA 0012 compare to other airfoil shapes?

The drag coefficient of NACA 0012 is relatively low compared to other airfoil shapes, making it a popular choice for aircraft design. Its symmetrical shape produces less drag compared to asymmetrical airfoils, and its thickness ratio also contributes to its low drag characteristics.