Naming Ionic Compound Review

In summary, the naming convention for ionic compounds involves listing the cation first followed by the anion with the suffix "ide" for binary compounds. However, for polyatomic ions, the suffix may vary depending on the particular ion. It is important to confirm the correct naming convention for each specific compound.
brycenrg

Homework Statement

It's been a minute since I've used this stuff.
Name the Ionic Compound

Ca(MnO4)2
Ba(HCO3)2
UO3
NaH2PO4

Homework Equations

In my book it says you name the cation first then add an Ide to the root.
In UO3 this seems to work as its Uranium Oxide.
But for the others I am not sure. When i look it up online it doesn't have the ide in the root.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Calcium permanganide
Barium hydrogen carbonide
Uranium Oxide
Sodium dihydrogen phosphide
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Manganide? Carbonide? Phosphide? If you have a doubt make a search on the name you thought off and see if it corresponds to the given compound.

I'm just wondering why those don't include ide at the end

Hydride, carbide, sulfide, oxide, chloride etc. are reserved for compounds made of two elements only.

Likes brycenrg
Thank you :D Yes those are for polyatomic ions

1. What is an ionic compound?

An ionic compound is a type of chemical compound that is formed when positively charged ions (cations) and negatively charged ions (anions) are attracted to each other through electrostatic forces.

2. How are ionic compounds named?

Ionic compounds are named by using the name of the cation followed by the name of the anion. The cation's name remains the same as the element, while the anion's name is modified depending on its charge. For example, NaCl is named sodium chloride.

3. What is a polyatomic ion?

A polyatomic ion is a group of atoms that are covalently bonded together but carry an overall charge, making them act as a single ion. Examples include NH4+ and SO42-.

4. How do you determine the charge of an ionic compound?

The charge of an ionic compound can be determined by balancing the charges of the cation and anion. The charges must add up to zero for a neutral compound. For example, Ca2+ and Cl- combine to form CaCl2.

5. What is the crisscross method for naming ionic compounds?

The crisscross method is a shortcut method for determining the formula of an ionic compound. The charges of the cation and anion are crossed over and used as subscripts for the opposite ion. For example, Mg2+ and O2- combine to form MgO.