Natural Metrics on (Special) Unitary groups.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the "trace/Hilbert-Schmidt" inner product on unitary and special unitary groups, and whether it is the natural inner product for these spaces. The question also considers the possibility of using the Killing form or a bi-invariant metric. Ultimately, it is determined that the trace-inner product is indeed the natural choice for these spaces.
Kreizhn
So I know that every smooth manifold can be endowed with a Riemannian structure. In particular though, I'm wondering if there is a natural structure for the unitary and special unitary groups.

I often see people using the "trace/Hilbert-Schmidt" inner product on these spaces, where
[tex] \langle X, Y \rangle = \text{Tr}(X^\dagger Y) [/tex]
but these are often applied directly to elements of the manifold rather than to their tangent spaces. Is this the same inner-product one the Lie-algebra/tangent spaces? Or is there a more natural one?

Edit: I guess another way to phrase the question might be "Is the trace-inner product the natural inner-product to use on (traceless) skew-Hermitian matrices?

Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine if you didn't take the induced metric from the natural embedding in C^(n^2), you'd have to justify it somehow.

So the answer to your question (in my opinion) is yes.

Alternatively, I could probably use the Killing form here no? Since U(n) and SU(n) are compact, the Killing form is negative definite so the negative killing form could define a metric. Further, I think I remember reading something about all simple Lie groups having unique bi-invariant metrics. But U(n) is only semi-simple right?

Related to Natural Metrics on (Special) Unitary groups.

1. What is a "Natural Metric" on a (Special) Unitary group?

A "Natural Metric" on a (Special) Unitary group is a way to measure the distance between two elements in the group. It is defined as the minimum length of a path connecting the two elements, where the length is determined by the group's structure and the chosen metric.

2. How is a "Natural Metric" different from other metrics?

A "Natural Metric" is different from other metrics in that it is uniquely determined by the group's structure and is independent of any external parameters or choices. In contrast, other metrics may depend on additional parameters or choices made by the user.

3. What is the significance of studying "Natural Metrics" on (Special) Unitary groups?

Studying "Natural Metrics" on (Special) Unitary groups has several significant applications, including understanding the geometry of the group, finding optimal paths between group elements, and developing efficient algorithms for group operations.

4. Can "Natural Metrics" be generalized to other types of groups?

Yes, "Natural Metrics" can be generalized to other types of groups, such as orthogonal groups, symplectic groups, and more. In each case, the metric is uniquely determined by the group's structure and provides insight into the group's geometry.

5. How do "Natural Metrics" relate to the concept of unitarity?

"Natural Metrics" on (Special) Unitary groups are closely linked to the concept of unitarity, as they are based on the group's unitary structure. However, not all metrics on these groups are natural, and not all natural metrics are unitary. Thus, while related, the two concepts are distinct.