Natural Solutions for Positive Variables?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Hatuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a solution for a finite set of positive variables in both real and natural numbers. It is suggested to consider the equalities and strict inequalities separately, and to use rational points in a defined subspace to find a solution. By approximating coefficients with rational numbers, a rational solution can be found. Multiplying this solution by the least common multiple of its denominators results in an integer solution.
Hatuk
Hi everyone,
Consider a finite set of positive variables $P = \{x_1,x_2,\ldots, x_n \}$, and a non-strict order on the expressions $\Sigma_{x_i \subseteq P}x_i$. For example:
$$P = \{x_1,x_2,x_3\}$$
$$x_1 + x_2 + x_3 > x_1 + x_2 > x_2 + x_3 > x_1 = x_2 > x_3$$
Can we claim that if there is a solution in which $\forall i,x_i \in \mathbb{R}^+$, there must be a solution in which $\forall i, x_i \in \mathbb{N}^+$?
Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to consider the equalities and the strict inequalities separately.

Start with the equalities. If there are $d$ of them, they will define an $(n-d)$-dimensional subspace $S$ of $\Bbb{R}^n$, which will have a basis $\{\mathbf{e}_1,\ldots,\mathbf{e}_{n-d}\}$ consisting of rational vectors (vectors with rational coordinates). [In your example, there is just one equality, $x_1 = x_2$. That defines a two-dimensional subspace of $\Bbb{R}^3$, with a basis $\{\mathbf{e}_1=(1,1,0),\mathbf{e}_2=(0,0,1)\}$.]

Every point in $S$ is of the form $\alpha_1\mathbf{e}_1 + \ldots + \alpha_{n-d}\mathbf{e}_{n-d}$, where $\alpha_1, \ldots, \alpha_{n-d}$ are real coefficients. By approximating these coefficients with rational numbers, you see that the rational points in $S$ are dense in $S$.

The strict inequalities in your set, together with the inequalities $x_i>0\ (1\leqslant i\leqslant n)$, define an open subset of $S$. You are told that this subset contains a point $\mathbf{x} = (x_1,\ldots,x_n)$. So by taking a rational point $\mathbf{r}$ in $S$ sufficiently close to $\mathbf{x}$, you can find a rational solution to the problem.

Finally, by multiplying $\mathbf{r}$ by the least common multiple of the denominators of all its coordinates, you get an integer solution to the problem.

Thanks!

What is a natural solution?

A natural solution refers to a substance or method that is derived from nature and is used to treat a particular health issue or problem. This can include herbs, plants, minerals, and other natural substances.

Are natural solutions effective?

The effectiveness of natural solutions can vary depending on the specific issue and individual. Some natural solutions have been scientifically proven to be effective, while others may not have enough evidence to support their effectiveness. It is important to do thorough research and consult with a healthcare professional before using a natural solution.

What are the benefits of using natural solutions?

Natural solutions can have several benefits, including fewer side effects, lower cost, and a more holistic approach to health. They may also be more sustainable and environmentally friendly compared to synthetic medications.

Are there any risks associated with natural solutions?

While natural solutions may be generally considered safe, there can be risks involved. Some natural substances may interact with medications or have adverse effects on certain individuals. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional and carefully follow instructions when using natural solutions.

What are some examples of natural solutions?

Some examples of natural solutions include herbal remedies, essential oils, acupuncture, and dietary supplements. These are just a few examples, as there are many different types of natural solutions available for various health issues.