Need a small remotely controlled motor w/ self-contained power

In summary: Thanks for the clarification.That's a clever mechanism. I did not know that. Thanks for the clarification.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I wish to construct a device comprised of beams that grow and shrink by as much as 300%. The beam lengths will be controlled by motors in a specific timing and sequence.

I cannot supply power or control to the motors from an external source because the object will turn itself inside out, rendering any umbilicals impossible.

I want a motor that is
- small
- battery-powered
- can be actuated remotely by a computer (via radio receiver I guess)
- can have its motion converted to a piston

Any ideas? Looking for suggestions for:
- the right motor
- how the motor will be powered (batteries will suffice)
- the way the motor will actuate the beam pistons
- a transmitter from the computer to control 32 of these motors
- the right receiver that receives the signal and activates the motor

Oh. And a "weekend hobby" budget. :biggrin:

An example of growing/shrinking beams can be seen here:
MegaSphere.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
can have its motion converted to a piston
Are you sure you want a motor? Sounds like you might actually want a solenoid.

I'd start with a small RC car, and look at ways to convert the rotational motion to linear motion. Some sort of screw drive would probably be the strongest...

zoobyshoe said:
Are you sure you want a motor? Sounds like you might actually want a solenoid.

Yeah except it will need to extend by 300%. Like from one foot to 3 feet.

berkeman said:
I'd start with a small RC car, and look at ways to convert the rotational motion to linear motion. Some sort of screw drive would probably be the strongest...

Yeah. 32 RC cars...

Perhaps this project is unfeasible.

Maybe look at car antennas that extend in multiple sections. They must have some interesting interlocking screw drive sections or something similar...

berkeman said:
Maybe look at car antennas that extend in multiple sections. They must have some interesting interlocking screw drive sections or something similar...
Ooh. now that one's a great idea! Thanks!

berkeman said:
That's not how retracting car antennas work. The antenna has a flexible plastic rod inside of it that extends or retracts by winding or unwinding from a spool powered by a motor.

Dr_Morbius said:
That's not how retracting car antennas work. The antenna has a flexible plastic rod inside of it that extends or retracts by winding or unwinding from a spool powered by a motor.

The fact remains, it is the perfect tool for the job I need.

Dr_Morbius said:

That's a clever mechanism. I did not know that.

1. What is a small remotely controlled motor?

A small remotely controlled motor is a type of motor that can be controlled wirelessly from a remote location. It is typically compact in size and can be used for various applications such as robotics, drones, and remote-controlled toys.

2. What is self-contained power in a motor?

Self-contained power in a motor refers to the ability of the motor to function independently without the need for an external power source. This means that the motor has its own power supply, such as a battery, which allows it to operate without being connected to a power outlet.

3. What are the advantages of using a small remotely controlled motor with self-contained power?

One of the main advantages of using this type of motor is its portability and versatility. Since it is compact and has its own power source, it can be easily integrated into various devices and can be used in remote or hard-to-reach locations. It also eliminates the need for long and tangled wires, making it more convenient to use.

4. How do I choose the right small remotely controlled motor with self-contained power for my project?

When choosing a motor, it is important to consider the specifications and requirements of your project. Some factors to consider include the size and weight of the motor, its power output, and its compatibility with your remote control system. You should also consider the durability and reliability of the motor to ensure that it can withstand the demands of your project.

5. Can a small remotely controlled motor with self-contained power be used for industrial applications?

Yes, a small remotely controlled motor with self-contained power can be used for industrial applications. However, it is important to choose a motor that is specifically designed for industrial use and can meet the power and performance requirements of your application. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and regularly maintain the motor to ensure its safe and efficient operation.