Need advice on pinch-off tool for cold cold-weld sealing

In summary, the conversation is about achieving a permanent seal for a vacuum chamber in the high vacuum range. The person is considering using a cold-weld sealing method and has found a supplier for a pinch-off tool, but it is expensive. They are asking for recommendations on specific products or tips for successfully using a pinch-off tool for this purpose. They have also mentioned the possibility of using a hand-held swaging press instead.
Rodrigo Bilbeny Y
Hi,

My name is Rodrigo and I need to achieve a permanent seal for a vacuum chamber in the high vacuum range (I’ll be working between 1x10-4 and 1x10-torr). We were thinking of using a cold-weld sealing of an annealed copper tube to separate the chamber from the vacuum pump once the vacuum level is fine.

I´ve already found one supplier of a reliable pinch-off tool that seems to do the job, but due to its high cost I need to find out more to be sure. Have anyone successfully use a pinch-of tool for a similar purpose, achieving high vacuum levels with no leak after pinch-off? I would appreciate very much if you tell me any specific product or tip!

Thanks!

I do not think it is magic. If it is for research, rather than quantity production, a hand held swaging press should do the job.
Google 'swaging tool hydraulic' and see units costing US$50 and up.
Modify by grinding a steel tool with the correct swage profile for the tube to fit the jaws of the press you get.

Research the pinch profile used and the force applied. Google 'cold weld pinch off tool'
http://www.chem.info/article/2013/12/choosing-right-tools-cold-welding

1. What is a pinch-off tool for cold cold-weld sealing?

A pinch-off tool is a specialized tool used for creating a tight seal in metal pipes or tubing. This tool works by pinching or crimping the material together, creating a cold weld that is strong and durable.

2. When should I use a pinch-off tool for cold cold-weld sealing?

A pinch-off tool is typically used when working with metal pipes or tubing that needs to be sealed, such as in plumbing or HVAC systems. It is also commonly used in automotive and industrial applications.

3. How does a pinch-off tool work?

A pinch-off tool uses a clamping mechanism to apply pressure to the metal material, causing it to deform and create a seal. This process is known as cold welding, as it does not require heat to bond the materials together.

4. What are the benefits of using a pinch-off tool for cold cold-weld sealing?

There are several benefits to using a pinch-off tool for cold cold-weld sealing. It is a quick and efficient way to create a strong and secure seal without the use of heat. It also does not require any additional materials, making it a cost-effective solution. Additionally, the cold welding process creates a seal that is resistant to corrosion and leaks.

5. How do I choose the right pinch-off tool for my needs?

When choosing a pinch-off tool, consider the size and type of material you will be working with, as well as the pressure and strength needed for the seal. It is also important to choose a tool from a reliable and reputable brand to ensure its quality and effectiveness.