Need guidance: Energy/gass question

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of energy that could be produced if all the water vapor in the atmosphere were to suddenly condense, as well as the amount of water that would be condensed and the surface area of Canada. The atmospheric pressure and air density are also mentioned.
timsher
Hi guys! I'm really lost on this one, I don't even now where to start. If somebody could please give me some guidance on how I should go about solving this problem, I would be very grateful!

Question:

Canada’s electrical consumption is typically 57,000 MW. If all the H2O(g) in the atmosphere (assume it is 2% by volume) suddenly condensed to H2O(l), and all the enthalpy of this process was captured and converted to electrical energy, how long would this energy power the country?

Physics news on Phys.org
How much H2O gas would be condensed? Do you know the surface Area of Canada? (not offhand, but I bet you can Google it)
Atmospheric Pressure at the surface is caused by the weight (mg) of all the air above ground. (I'd presume STP unless told otherwise). air density is well-known, as is H2O gas density.

Related to Need guidance: Energy/gass question

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in many different forms, such as light, heat, motion, and electricity. It is essential for all living beings and the functioning of the universe.

2. What are the different types of energy?

The main types of energy are mechanical, thermal, chemical, electrical, nuclear, and electromagnetic. Mechanical energy is associated with motion, thermal energy is associated with heat, chemical energy is stored in chemical bonds, electrical energy is associated with the movement of electrons, nuclear energy is released from the nucleus of an atom, and electromagnetic energy is carried by waves of electricity and magnetism.

3. How is energy converted from one form to another?

Energy can be converted from one form to another through various processes, such as mechanical work, heat transfer, chemical reactions, and electromagnetic radiation. For example, a car engine converts chemical energy into mechanical energy to move the car.

4. What is the relationship between energy and gases?

Gases contain a significant amount of energy in the form of kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion of gas particles. This energy can be harnessed for various purposes, such as powering engines and generating electricity.

5. How can we conserve energy in our daily lives?

There are many ways to conserve energy in our daily lives, such as turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using energy-efficient appliances, opting for sustainable transportation methods, and reducing our overall energy consumption. Conserving energy not only benefits the environment but also saves money in the long run.