Need help conceptualizing constant voltage in hollow sphere

In summary, A hollow metal sphere with constant voltage has zero electric field inside due to uniform charge distribution on its surface. This is explained by Gauss' Law.
cmkluza
I realize that this is probably really basic, but I can't quite conceptualize a hollow metal sphere having constant voltage and zero electric field inside of it. I've searched around on the Internet, and I've seen stuff about Gauss' Law, but even after reading into that a little bit I can't make sense of it.

Would anyone here be able to try and explain this to me or give me some intuition on it?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential at each point inside the sphere will be same at every point. This is because of uniform charge distribution of the charge on the surface of the sphere. Hence, electric field will be zero inside the sphere. There is no 'gradient' of potential inside.

Likes cmkluza

Related to Need help conceptualizing constant voltage in hollow sphere

1. What is constant voltage in a hollow sphere?

Constant voltage in a hollow sphere refers to the uniform and constant electric potential throughout the interior of the sphere. This means that the electric potential at any point within the hollow sphere remains the same, regardless of the distance from the center or the position within the sphere.

2. How is constant voltage achieved in a hollow sphere?

Constant voltage in a hollow sphere is achieved by evenly distributing the charge on the surface of the sphere. This results in a uniform electric field within the sphere, which in turn creates a constant electric potential throughout the interior.

3. What is the significance of constant voltage in a hollow sphere?

The constant voltage in a hollow sphere is significant because it allows for a predictable and uniform electric field within the sphere. This makes it easier to study and analyze the behavior of electric charges and fields within the sphere.

4. How does constant voltage in a hollow sphere differ from a solid sphere?

In a solid sphere, the electric potential decreases as you move closer to the center, whereas in a hollow sphere, the electric potential remains constant throughout the interior. This is because in a solid sphere, the charge is evenly distributed throughout the entire volume, while in a hollow sphere, the charge is only on the surface.

5. Can constant voltage in a hollow sphere be altered?

Yes, constant voltage in a hollow sphere can be altered by changing the distribution of charge on the surface of the sphere. Adding or removing charge in certain areas can change the uniformity of the electric field and therefore alter the constant voltage within the sphere.