Need help finding aircraft sizing software?

In summary, the person is looking for software that can help with aerospace design by incorporating a mission profile and calculating empty weight and fuel weight. They are specifically interested in programs that can make rough estimates and iterate quickly. However, it is mentioned that such a program does not exist and instead, the suggestion is to use a programming language like MATLAB to automate the iterations.
stealthxxy
Hey guys,

I'm looking for some software capable of allowing the user to input a specific mission profile and ultimately calculating empty weight and fuel weights providing input such as your L/D, cruise altitude, AR, Swet, Sref, ect. I'd even be interested in more advanced programs with the capability of implementing your design sketches and doing all the above calculations with a few clicks of a button. Any help/advice is well appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
There isn't such a piece of software. That is why you have aerospace engineers.

If you have a design, there are pieces of software that could do some of the work for you an give estimates.

But there are no pieces of software that you could input "I want to fly from London to New York" and it would design an aircraft for you.

Hey, this is stealthxxy (apparently there were a few mix ups due to multiple accounts, sorry about the inconvenience). Jarednjames, let me be more specific. I have already sketched multiple aircraft for specific design requirements. From these requirements, I calculated wetted areas, reference areas, L/D's, specific fuel consumptions, cruising altitudes ect. What I'm looking for is a program that could allow me to incorporate a mission profile (take off, climb, cruise, loiter, divergence ect.) and easily calculate my empty weight and fuel weight so I wouldn't have to do the iterations by hand and therefore pick a suitable design candidate in a reduced amount of time. If indeed, no such program exists, then could you point me towards some programs that do make rough estimates for you in other areas of aerospace design.

Just write a MATLAB script to iterate for you then. If you can do UT once by hand, MATLAB (or another language) can do it a zillion times.

I would recommend looking into aircraft sizing software such as OpenVSP or XFLR5. These programs allow users to input specific mission profiles and design parameters, and then calculate important metrics such as empty weight and fuel weights. They also have more advanced features, such as the ability to import design sketches and perform complex calculations with ease. I suggest researching these options and determining which one best fits your needs and budget. Additionally, reaching out to other scientists or engineers in the field may provide valuable insights and recommendations for aircraft sizing software.

Related to Need help finding aircraft sizing software?

1. What is aircraft sizing software?

Aircraft sizing software is a computer program that is used to calculate and determine the optimal size and configuration of an aircraft based on various design parameters, such as payload, range, speed, and fuel efficiency.

2. How does aircraft sizing software work?

Aircraft sizing software uses mathematical models and algorithms to analyze different design parameters and generate an aircraft design that meets the given requirements. It takes into account factors such as aerodynamics, weight and balance, and engine performance to determine the optimal size and configuration of the aircraft.

3. What are the benefits of using aircraft sizing software?

Using aircraft sizing software can significantly reduce the time and cost involved in the aircraft design process. It allows for quick and accurate evaluation of various design options, leading to an optimized and efficient aircraft design. It also helps to identify potential design flaws and improve overall performance.

4. What types of aircraft can be designed using aircraft sizing software?

Aircraft sizing software can be used to design a wide range of aircraft, including commercial airliners, military jets, helicopters, and even drones. It can also be used for both fixed-wing and rotary-wing aircraft designs.

5. How accurate is the output of aircraft sizing software?

The accuracy of the output of aircraft sizing software depends on the quality of the input data and the complexity of the design requirements. Generally, the more precise the input data and the more detailed the design requirements, the more accurate the output will be. However, it is always recommended to validate the output with additional analysis and testing.