Need Help Finding Cheap and Suitable Impact Force Sensor

In summary, the individual is seeking help finding an impact force sensor that is rectangular in shape, under $50, and commercially available. They prefer it to be simple to use and require no extra equipment. They have considered making their own with an arduino kit or purchasing a cheap accelerometer on eBay. They are unsure about the mass of the sensor and its impact on measurement accuracy, and they need more information about the intended use of the sensor.
lesmesorlesphys
Hi there,
I'm new to PhysicsForums,

But I need some help finding an impact force sensor that would suit my needs, and I'm pretty new to this so please be patient with me.
(Yes, I've tried google, but I am not great at looking for things)

Any help would be sooooo extremely appreciated

-It needs to measure the impact force it experiences when dropped from various heights
-For the love of god, nothing complicated. As simple as possible with no extra equipment needed. If possible i'd like to just press a button and have it record, then plug it into my computer and see what's what.
-Highllly prefer it to be rectangular in shape (rectangular prism)
-Under $50
-I'd like it to be commercially available so I can buy it ASAP, not a huge deal if it takes some time to deliver though.

THANKS AGAIN!

Likes ayylmfao and Infinityze
Physics news on Phys.org
lesmesorlesphys said:
Hi there,
I'm new to PhysicsForums,

But I need some help finding an impact force sensor that would suit my needs, and I'm pretty new to this so please be patient with me.
(Yes, I've tried google, but I am not great at looking for things)

Any help would be sooooo extremely appreciated

-It needs to measure the impact force it experiences when dropped from various heights
-For the love of god, nothing complicated. As simple as possible with no extra equipment needed. If possible i'd like to just press a button and have it record, then plug it into my computer and see what's what.
-Highllly prefer it to be rectangular in shape (rectangular prism)
-Under $50
-I'd like it to be commercially available so I can buy it ASAP, not a huge deal if it takes some time to deliver though.

THANKS AGAIN!
For that price, and the majority of your criteria, it might be best to buy an arduino kit and make your own. Although that won't meet your last criteria of commercially available. I'm sure there are already project descriptions on the web that would walk you through making something.

What is impacting what ? Experimental set up ? loads ? velocities ? dimensions ?

Smart phones have accelerometers.

Obsolete smart phones seem to meet all your requirements, at least up to the where the impact destroys the phone. You did not specify maximum impact velocity.

Also, a search for accelerometer on eBay shows 968 hits starting at $1.50

lesmesorlesphys said:
-It needs to measure the impact force it experiences when dropped from various height

The mass of the sensor will affect the force it experiences when dropped on the floor.

You need to tell us more about what you actually want to do. Are you testing packaging?

There are also cheap single use sensors used to track shipments. They have a plastic package, some sticky glue and some glass beads. On impact, the beads slide up a ramp and get stuck. The highest bead records the maximum impact acceleration. That constitutes evidence in the case of damage insurance claims.

Likes berkeman

1. What is an impact force sensor and what is its purpose?

An impact force sensor is a type of sensor that measures and records the force of impact during a collision or sudden impact event. Its purpose is to provide accurate and reliable data on the force of impact, which can be used for various applications such as crash testing, sports performance analysis, and industrial safety monitoring.

2. How do I know which impact force sensor is suitable for my needs?

Choosing the right impact force sensor depends on several factors, including the type of impact you want to measure, the required measurement range and accuracy, and the environment in which the sensor will be used. It is best to consult with a sensor expert or conduct thorough research to determine which sensor is most suitable for your specific needs.

3. Are impact force sensors expensive?

The cost of impact force sensors can vary depending on the type, accuracy, and features of the sensor. However, with advancements in technology, there are now more affordable options available in the market. It is important to consider the cost in relation to the quality and reliability of the sensor when making a purchase decision.

4. Can I use an impact force sensor for different types of impact events?

Yes, some impact force sensors are designed to measure a wide range of impact events, while others may be more specialized for specific types of impacts. It is important to read the specifications and capabilities of the sensor before purchasing to ensure it is suitable for the type of impact you want to measure.

5. How can I find cheap and suitable impact force sensors?

There are several ways to find affordable and suitable impact force sensors. You can compare prices and features from different manufacturers, look for discounts or promotions, or consider purchasing used sensors from reputable sellers. It is also helpful to consult with experts or read reviews to get recommendations on affordable and reliable options.