Need help finding how many molecules fill 1 cubic cm....

In summary, the question is asking how many molecules would fill one cubic centimeter if a layer of oleic acid is considered to be one molecule thick and the molecules are assumed to be cubes. After finding the volume and area of the acid, the thickness is calculated to be 5.27 * 10^-5 cm. To find the number of molecules in 1 cm^3, one must find the volume of 1 molecule. However, the calculations were off due to not converting the 0.5% to 0.005. Additionally, molecules are on the scale of nanometers, not centimeters, which explains the discrepancy in the calculations.
Krishna P

Homework Statement

The question I'm working on is: If a layer of oleic acid is considered to be one molecule thick and the molecules are assumed to be essentially cubes, how many molecules would fill one cubic centimeter?

Homework Equations

\[/B]

I've found the volume and area of the acid so that will give me the thickness:

0.5% oleic acid takes up 0.01 cubic centimetres. So volume of the acid is 0.005 cm3.

the area of the acid came out to 95cm2.

the thickness is then : 0.005/95 = 5.27 * 10^-5.

So if the thickness of oleic acid is found, do I just have to cube it then multiply by 100 to find out how many molecules in 1 cubic centimetre? Since oleic acid takes up 1/100 of a cubic centimetre and the molecules are assumed to be cubes...I don't know I'm lost here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Krishna P said:
the thickness is then : 0.005/95 = 5.27 * 10^-5.
If you have the thickness, and you were told to assume the layer is 1 molecule thick and molecules are cubes...then you should be able to find the volume of 1 molecule.
Your thickness is in cm, right? So 1cm^3 / (volume of 1 molecule) = # of molecules in 1 cm^3.

Yea that makes sense, man I was thinking too hard about that one lol

Krishna P said:
0.5% oleic acid takes up 0.01 cubic centimetres. So volume of the acid is 0.005 cm3.

Something is wrong. 0.5% of 0.01 is not 0.005.

Good catch, Borek.
Also, a quick Google search confirms that molecules are on the scale of nanometers, 10^(-9)m, or 10^(-7)cm.

wow, no wonder my calculations were off, I kept thinking 0.5% was 0.5 ...

1. How do I calculate the number of molecules in 1 cubic cm?

To calculate the number of molecules in 1 cubic cm, you will need to know the volume of 1 mole of gas at standard temperature and pressure (STP) and Avogadro's number. The volume of 1 mole of gas at STP is 22.4 liters and Avogadro's number is 6.022 x 10^23. Simply divide the volume of 1 mole of gas by the volume of 1 cubic cm (1 cm^3 = 1 mL) and multiply by Avogadro's number. The resulting number will be the number of molecules in 1 cubic cm.

2. What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number, also known as the Avogadro constant, is a fundamental physical constant that represents the number of particles (atoms, molecules, ions, etc.) in one mole of a substance. It is approximately equal to 6.022 x 10^23.

3. What is STP?

STP stands for standard temperature and pressure. It is defined as a temperature of 0 degrees Celsius (273.15 Kelvin) and a pressure of 1 atmosphere (101.325 kPa). It is commonly used as a reference point in chemistry and physics calculations.

4. Does the type of gas affect the number of molecules in 1 cubic cm?

Yes, the type of gas does affect the number of molecules in 1 cubic cm. This is because different gases have different molecular weights, which will affect the volume of 1 mole of gas at STP. Therefore, the number of molecules in 1 cubic cm will vary depending on the type of gas.

5. Can I use this calculation for any substance?

This calculation can only be used for gases at STP. For other substances, you will need to use their respective molecular weights and densities to calculate the number of molecules in 1 cubic cm.