How Do I Solve These Chemistry Isotope and Compound Problems?

• Thread starter coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, Just came back to school.. and I realize I've forgotten so many things! :cry: ARGG! >_<So if anyone can, I would really appreciate it you could help and show me how to do these problems asap!1) The element with an atomic mass of 186.207 amu is rhenium.2) The element with an atomic mass of 187.956 amu is rhenium.185Re has an atomic mass of 185.973 amu.187Re has an atomic mass of 186.207 amu. Combustion of 10.68 mg of the compound yields 16.01 mg CO2 and 4.37 mg H2O. The molar mass of
coffee
Just came back to school.. and I realize I've forgotten so many things! :cry: ARGG! >_<
So if anyone can, I would really appreciate it you could help and show me how to do these problems asap!1) An element consists of 1.40% of an isotope with mass 203.973 amu, 24.10% of an isotope with mass 205.9745 amu, 22.10% of an isotope with mass 206.959 amu, and 52.40% of an isotope with mass 207.9766 amu. Calculate the average atomic mass and identify the element.

2) The element rhenium (Re) has two naturally occurring isotopes, 185Re and 187Re, with an average atomic mass of 186.207 amu. Rhenium is 62.60% 187Re, and the atomic mass of 187Re is 186.956 amu. Calculate the mass of 185Re.

3) A compound contains only carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. Combustion of 10.68 mg of the compound yields 16.01 mg CO2 and 4.37 mg H2O. The molar mass of the compound is 176.1 g/mol. What are the empirical and molecular formulas of the compound.

THANKS! :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
let's see what you've tried and then we can give hints that leads you to the correct answer(s)

It has been a while since I did problems like this, but for #3 you should do a mass balance to find out how much O2 was required to burn the chemical. Then do a carbon, hydrogen and oxygen balance to create three equations with three unknowns and solve!

Oops, sorry for putting it into the wrong section >o<

Um for the first two I'm not really sure but does it has anything to do with multiplying the percent with the amu then add them together? Lol, I really forgot this ..either that or my last teacher taught something simililar to this but it looks different.

As for the 3rd one I think I found some last year notes.. so I'll try it. brb

For the first two questions...
The molar mass of an element is a wieghted average of the molar masses of the element's isotopes.
To find the element's molar mass, find the sum of each isotopes molar mass mulitplied by the percentage abundance (in decimal form).
If you already know the molas mass and one of the two isotope's molas mass, then you can take the above process and work backward.

The third question is a bit of a pain, but to solve it you need to convert the grams of CO2 and H2O into moles of Co2 and H2O.
Also, write out the general form of the equation,
a CxHyOz + b O2 --> c CO2 + d H2O
where a, b, c, and d are the molar coefficients in the reaction and x, y, and z are the subscripts on the Carbon, Hydrogen, and Oxygen in thesubstance being combusted.
Convert things to whole number ratios.
If you can find the propper ratios and know the actual molar mass of substance you can find what factor you need to multiply everything by to get the actual molecular formula.

I still don't understand how to solve it. I think I need a work out form instead of a written explanation. Sorry, I'm slow :'( I don't think I've learned this last year either.. maybe something similar but easier.

for problem 1 & 2:

asumme we have 100 different isotopes.

Then for problem 2 of the 100 Re-atoms, 62.6 atoms are Re-187 and 37.4 atoms are Re-185

The you only need to use the formula you use for every calculation of the average:

[tex]\bar{a.m.} = \frac {(62.6\cdot185.956) + (37.4\cdot x)} {100} = 186.207[/tex]

And solve for x, the atomic mass of Re-185.

For problem 3 you need to get to know the amount of mol C,H and O in the compound and you must bear in mind that the mass of C and H in the compuond will form CO2 and H2O after the reaction. All that's left on mass of the compund is oxygen.

Thanks for helping everyone. A friend and my teacher showed me how to do it. I get it now. :D

1. What are the most common types of chemistry problems that people need help with?

The most common types of chemistry problems that people need help with are stoichiometry, balancing chemical equations, and determining the molar mass of compounds. Other frequently asked about topics include acid-base reactions, redox reactions, and gas laws.

2. How can I approach solving chemistry problems more effectively?

One effective approach to solving chemistry problems is to first read the problem carefully and identify the known and unknown variables. Then, use the appropriate formulas or equations to solve for the unknown. It is also helpful to draw diagrams or write out the steps of the problem to keep track of your work.

3. What are some resources I can use to get help with chemistry problems?

There are many resources available for help with chemistry problems, including textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. You can also seek help from your teacher or a tutor. Additionally, there are many chemistry problem-solving apps and software programs available for practice and assistance.

4. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry to better solve problems?

To improve your understanding of chemistry, it is important to review the fundamental concepts and principles. You can also practice solving a variety of problems to become more familiar with different types of questions and how to approach them. Additionally, seeking help from a teacher or tutor can be beneficial in clarifying any confusing topics.

5. Is it important to show all of my work when solving chemistry problems?

Yes, it is important to show all of your work when solving chemistry problems. This not only helps you keep track of your steps and avoid mistakes, but it also allows others to see your thought process and provide feedback. In addition, showing your work is often required for full credit on exams and assignments.