Need help ordering parts for a nuclear fusion reactor

Mathiasrd
TL;DR Summary
Looking for a spherical vacuum chamber
Sorry for bad english, does anyone know where I can purchase a spherical vacuum chamber made from metal, that preferably ships internationally ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Are you wanting to build a DIY fusor, or some sort of laboratory-grade tokamak? :wink:

Also, what is your experience level with high-voltage systems and handling x-rays?

Likes bhobba and hutchphd
Vacuum systems also......

Likes bhobba
I don't know about too many people who could successfully built one DIY, but I know nobody who could do it without a mentor. (I mean, an IRL one. With expertise. In many things.)

So - just get one.

Ps.: it's an advantage if that mentor knows where the dismissed equipment from the local university get dumped.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
If any.

While I am sure spherical vacuum chambers exist, I have never - in decades in and around labs - have seen one. As a general rule, you want your equipment staying where you put it and not rolling around on the bench. Or rolling onto the floor and breaking. Or....or...or...

• Haha
Likes kered rettop and bhobba
Also, I wonder why it is not common knowledge that this level of energy and stuff already means radiation/radioactive hazard?

Sure, by now it's 'easy' to do early experiments since all the calculations and know-how is readily available from 'history' books, but seriously :nb) :oldconfused:

Likes bhobba

What are the essential components needed for a nuclear fusion reactor?

The essential components for a nuclear fusion reactor include plasma containment systems such as magnetic confinement devices (tokamaks, stellarators) or inertial confinement systems, vacuum chambers, superconducting magnets, cryogenic systems, neutron shielding, and heat exchange systems. Additionally, diagnostic instruments to monitor plasma properties and reactor performance are crucial.

Where can I source reliable parts for a nuclear fusion reactor?

Reliable parts for a nuclear fusion reactor can be sourced from specialized manufacturers and suppliers who have experience in high-precision engineering and materials suitable for high-temperature and high-radiation environments. It's important to work with vendors that comply with international nuclear safety standards and have a proven track record in the nuclear industry.

How do I ensure the parts are compatible with my reactor design?

To ensure parts compatibility with your reactor design, thoroughly review the technical specifications and requirements of your reactor. Engage with engineers and designers to understand the integration points and operational demands. It may also be beneficial to collaborate directly with manufacturers to customize parts that fit the specific needs of your reactor configuration.

What are the safety considerations when ordering parts for a nuclear fusion reactor?

Safety considerations when ordering parts include ensuring that all components can withstand extreme conditions such as high temperatures, radiation, and magnetic fields. Parts must also meet stringent quality assurance and control standards to prevent failures. Regular testing and certification by relevant nuclear safety authorities are essential to ensure that all parts meet the necessary safety criteria.

How can I stay updated on the latest advancements in nuclear fusion technology to inform my purchasing decisions?

To stay updated on the latest advancements in nuclear fusion technology, regularly attend relevant conferences, workshops, and seminars. Subscribing to leading scientific journals and being a part of professional nuclear energy organizations can also provide valuable insights and updates. Networking with other professionals in the field and participating in collaborative research projects are additional ways to keep informed about new technologies and developments.