Need help to reverse engineer a problem...........................

In summary, Jayearl is looking for a formula or an algorithm that can help him find four numbers that, when multiplied together, will produce a large sum.
jayearl
I hoping that someone may help me find a formula for this problem...

Starting with a specific, large-sum number (ex. 5,408,286,291),

find 4, three or four digit numbers that, when multiplied, will arrive at this large-sum number. It could
be 3 larger numbers or 4 smaller numbers. It doesn't matter really just as long as we arrive at the
final sum.

Since I'm not a math student, I'm hoping to find a formula that can accomplish this. I guess
this is basically doing multiplication backwards. I know it's probably a strange request but I figured
that someone on this forum would know now.

Thank you
Jayearl

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to MHB, jayearl!

I've moved your thread because this forum is a better fit for the topic of the thread.

Your best bet here is to use a calculator/computer to factor the number (doing so by hand could be very tedious), for example:

W|A - Factor 5,408,286,291

On that page, we find the prime factorization:

\(\displaystyle 5,408,286,291=3^2\cdot61\cdot1049\cdot9391\)

So, if we wanted 4 factors, we could use:

\(\displaystyle 5,408,286,291=9\cdot61\cdot1049\cdot9391\)

And if we wanted 3 factors:

\(\displaystyle 5,408,286,291=549\cdot1049\cdot9391\)

Thank you for the assistance.
But I don't believe I explained myself well.
(again, I'm not a math-guy at all so I don't know where to start)

I would like to have 3 or 4 numbers (each with 3 or 4 digits) that, when multiplied, arrive at a specific sum.
ex. 469 X 102 X 309 X 910 = _______number that I first specify______ OR
2005 X 7311 X 3017 = _______number that I first specify_______

Everyday I'll start with a new 9-digit number. Then, I'll need to work backwards? to find the factors that arrive at this new, daily sum.

Is this more clear?
Thank you again for any assitance.
Jayearl

Just to clear up some terminology, when you multiply several numbers together you get a product, not a sum. A sum is the result of addition. :D

There is no easy method/formula for factoring large numbers in general...so the best method is to use a calculator/computer to run known efficient algorithms for spitting out the factorization.

I believe this is what I need to know how to do:
"so the best method is to use a calculator/computer to run known efficient algorithms for spitting out the factorization"

This is where I don't know what to do...I know even know what an algorithms is .. OR I would be willing to pay someone to figure this out for me.

What is reverse engineering?

Reverse engineering is the process of analyzing a product or system in order to understand its design, functionality, and components. This is often done in order to recreate or improve upon the original product.

Why would someone need help with reverse engineering?

Reverse engineering can be a complex and time-consuming process that requires specialized knowledge and tools. It is also often used to solve technical problems or improve upon existing designs, so seeking help from others can save time and resources.

What are the steps involved in reverse engineering?

The steps of reverse engineering typically include research and analysis, disassembly or dismantling, documentation of findings, and reconstruction or modification of the product or system. These steps may vary depending on the complexity and purpose of the project.

What are the benefits of reverse engineering?

Reverse engineering allows for a deeper understanding of a product or system, which can lead to improvements in design, functionality, and performance. It can also be used to create compatible or similar products, and to troubleshoot and fix technical issues.

What are some common challenges in reverse engineering?

Reverse engineering can be a challenging process due to factors such as limited access to the product or system, lack of documentation or information, and the need for specialized knowledge and equipment. It can also be time-consuming and require a significant amount of effort and resources.