Need help understanding some concepts about friction

In summary, @al4n is trying to prove that the acceleration of the top object is equal to the acceleration of the bottom object when the magnitude of the applied force is within some range, but is having difficulty doing so due to a misunderstanding of static friction.
al4n
We have 2 objects, m1 and m[SUPlB]2[/SUB]
Screenshot_20230620-185744_Drive.jpg

Friction is present between the two objects but not between m1 and the floor. A force is exerted on the bottom object which causes it to accelerate parallel to the floor. The thing I'm wondering for while now is, how do I prove that the acceleration of the top object is equal to the acceleration of the bottom object when the magnitude of the applied force is within some range?

Physics news on Phys.org
al4n said:
We have 2 objects, m1 and m[SUPlB]2[/SUB]View attachment 328111
Friction is present between the two objects but not between m1 and the floor. A force is exerted on the bottom object which causes it to accelerate parallel to the floor. The thing I'm wondering for while now is, how do I prove that the acceleration of the top object is equal to the acceleration of the bottom object when the magnitude of the applied force is within some range?
By using Newton's laws of motion.

Draw a force diagram and then, as @PeroK said, apply Newton's Laws.

al4n said:
We have 2 objects, m1 and m[SUPlB]2[/SUB]View attachment 328111
Look up static friction coefficient.

phinds said:
Draw a force diagram and then, as @PeroK said, apply Newton's Laws.
Hi. I tried this but I cant seem to make it work.

Lets say Fa is the force applied on the lower object. It will experience a frictional force say Ff1 opposite and with equal value to Fa.The object on top will, to my understanding will also experience a force opposite and with equal magnitude to Ff1. We can call it say Fr1 for force of reaction.
Then the bottom object will experience an acceleration (lets call it a1) equal to a1 = (Fa- Ff1)/m1 which is 0. The upper object however will have an acceleration of a = Fr1/m2 which is not 0. The accelerations of the objects are not equal but Im trying to prove that they are.

I tried this a 2nd time but letting the upper object also experience friction. The frictional force (Im calling it Ff2) felt is equal in magnitude ( I think ) to the reaction force Fr1. Like with my first attempt, this frictional force will create a reaction force this time on the lower object (calling it Fr2) also with equal magnitude. For this case, the acceleration experienced by the lower object is now a1 = (Fa- Ff1 + Fr2)/m1
which is just Fa/m1.
The acceleration of the upper object however is now a2 = (Fr1-Ff2)/m2 which is 0. Again the accelerations of the objects are not equal.

I think Im missing something but I dont know what.

al4n said:
You can approach this in two ways, I would say.

First, from a physical perpsective, we can describe what happens when a force is applied to ##m_1##. As there is no friction with the floor, any force will accelerate the system according to ##F = (m_1 + m_2)a##. This is because static friction holds the objects ##m_1## and ##m_2## together for low acceleration.

However, eventually the force increases to the point where static friction is not sufficient to hold ##m_2## to ##m_1## and ##m_2## slips backwards (relative to ##m_1##). In the first approach, we try to calculate the size of the force needed for this.

This counts as a "proof" in physics, because although we make an assumption, we eventually justify that assumption.

The second approach is what you attempted by considering all forces on the system and trying to balance your equations somehow. What you are missing, perhaps, is that static friction is a variable reaction force. That means it varies from zero to some maximum possible value to prevent relative motion between surfaces. (Once the surfaces begin to slide across each other, we have a constant kinetic friction, which acts against the motion.)

The important point is that static friction is variable with a maximum possible value. In a sense, it adjusts to what is needed to prevent motion - which is, perhaps, the assumption/knowledge you are missing.

Last edited:
Likes DrClaude and Lnewqban
PeroK said:
This is because static friction holds the objects ##m_1## and ##m_2## together for low acceleration.
This statement right here is what Im trying to prove. I just want a neat series of statements that start from say the laws of motions to ideally: a1 = a2

al4n said:
This statement right here is what Im trying to prove. I just want a neat series of statements that start from say the laws of motions to ideally: a1 = a2
Physics isn't mathematics. The nature of static friction does not follow directly from Newton's Laws or any fundamental postulates of physics (*). You can't prove directly from Newton's laws that there is even such a thing as friction. The basic properties of friction (static and kinetic) must be added to the fundamental laws.

(*) If you have a model for intermolecular behaviour, you may be able to derive the properties of friction from that. But, that is beyond the scope of basic mechanics.

Likes A.T. and DrClaude
al4n said:
Tried WHAT? I don't see any force diagram.

al4n said:

Lets say Fa is the force applied on the lower object. It will experience a frictional force say Ff1 opposite and with equal value to Fa.
There is no reason for the friction force to be equal in magnitude to the force applied to the bottom object. They are not a Newton third law pair. In your ideal case, with no friction with the ground, no matter how small the applied force is, the system will accelerate. Or at least, the bottom body will accelerate. And so, the friction at the top will be allways less than the force applied.

al4n said:
I assume you mean only the horizontal accelerations here.

So you don't demand a proof that there is no vertical relative motion between the two bodies, because the body on top cannot simply fall through the body below. How is that fundamentally different from assuming sufficient static friction in the horizontal direction?

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and nasu
al4n said:
Can you imagine that both masses are sliding on the frictionless surface, just joined by a string?
Static friction behaves like our imaginary string, which has a limited resistance to tension.

As long as that horizontal force on the pulling object, which accelerates parallel to the floor, induces a tension in our imaginary string that is not greater than its resistance to pulling, it holds.
Therefore, both objects slide with the same acceleration and instantaneous velocities.

If greater force is applied, the string reaches its limit and breaks (our static friction becomes dynamic).
Force is still applied to the pulling object after that, and it continues accelerating at a higher rate.
The pulled object stops accelerating because the string tension disappears (not the case of the dynamic friction, which still applies some lesser pulling force that makes the top object continue accelerating at a lower rate).

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects when they come into contact with each other.

2. How does friction work?

Friction is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces that come into contact with each other. When these surfaces rub against each other, the tiny bumps and ridges interlock, making it harder for the objects to slide past each other.

3. What factors affect friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on the force pressing them together, the type of surfaces, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. What are the different types of friction?

There are three types of friction: static, sliding, and rolling. Static friction occurs when two objects are not moving relative to each other. Sliding friction occurs when two objects are sliding past each other. Rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smooth layer between two surfaces. Also, using smoother surfaces or reducing the force pressing the surfaces together can decrease friction.