Need help with a proof involving points on a quadratic

In summary, the conversation discusses how to write a mathematical proof for a positive definite quadratic equation. It is mentioned that the middle point will never be higher than at least one of the other two points, and a proof is needed to support this. The participants discuss the role of the absolute minimum and the derivative in determining the relationship between points on the quadratic curve. Ultimately, it is determined that this statement holds true for any quadratic with a positive coefficient of x^2.
Jeff.Nevington
TL;DR Summary
Given three points on a positive definite quadratic line, I need to prove that the middle point is never higher than at least one of the other two.
Summary: Given three points on a positive definite quadratic line, I need to prove that the middle point is never higher than at least one of the other two.

I am struggling to write a proof down for something. It's obvious when looking at it graphically, but I don't know how to write the proof succinctly.

I have a positive definite quadratic equation:

y= (αx + φ)^2+x^2;
where x and y are the axes, and α and φ are real constants (could be positive or negative), so y is always ≥0.

If I choose three values of X: x_a, x_p, x_b, these will correspond to three values of y: y_a, y_p, y_b.
If x_a ≤ x_p ≤ x_b, it is obvious, visually on the curve that y_p ≤ y_a OR y_p ≤ y_b. Unfortunately I need something more robust than "obvious visually". Does anyone know how I would go about writing a mathematical proof for this?
IMG_20191002_095331.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Your parabola has an absolute minimum (you can find it but you don't need to), its derivative is negative for smaller x-values and positive for larger values. If the middle point is to the left of the absolute minimum, which point is guaranteed to be larger (in y) than the middle point? If the middle point is to the right of the absolute minimum, which point is guaranteed to be larger than the middle point? What if the middle point is at the absolute minimum?

Likes Jeff.Nevington
mfb said:
Your parabola has an absolute minimum (you can find it but you don't need to), its derivative is negative for smaller x-values and positive for larger values. If the middle point is to the left of the absolute minimum, which point is guaranteed to be larger (in y) than the middle point? If the middle point is to the right of the absolute minimum, which point is guaranteed to be larger than the middle point? What if the middle point is at the absolute minimum?

Thank you, so I can write:

let x_m be the x value at the absolute minimum;
for x_p ≥ x_m and for x ≥ x_p; dy/dx ≥ 0, hence y_b ≥ y_p as x_b ≥ x_p;
for x_p ≤ x_m and for x ≤ x_p; dy/dx ≤ 0, hence y_a ≥ y_p as x_a ≤ x_p;

I think these two cover everything and I don't necessarily need a 3rd statement considering only x_p=x_m?

Does the above qualify as a proof?

Likes Delta2
Jeff.Nevington said:
Thank you, so I can write:

let x_m be the x value at the absolute minimum;
for x_p ≥ x_m and for x ≥ x_p; dy/dx ≥ 0, hence y_b ≥ y_p as x_b ≥ x_p;
for x_p ≤ x_m and for x ≤ x_p; dy/dx ≤ 0, hence y_a ≥ y_p as x_a ≤ x_p;

I think these two cover everything and I don't necessarily need a 3rd statement considering only x_p=x_m?

Does the above qualify as a proof?
It must be true for any quadratic with positive coefficient of ##x^2##. We can write:

##y = ax^2 + bx + c = a[(x - b/2a)^2 + k]##

For some constant ##k##.

We can see that ## y(x_1) > y(x_2)## iff ##(x_1 - b/2a)^2 > (x_2 - b/2a)^2##.

Now consider the cases where the middle point is greater or less than ##b/2a##.

That, it seems to me, gets at the heart of the matter.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it contains at least one squared term. It is written in the form ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do I find the points on a quadratic equation?

To find the points on a quadratic equation, you can either graph the equation and plot the points, or you can use the quadratic formula. The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in the quadratic equation.

3. What is the relationship between the points on a quadratic equation and the graph of the equation?

The points on a quadratic equation represent the x and y coordinates of the points on the graph of the equation. The x coordinates are the solutions to the equation, and the y coordinates are the corresponding values when you substitute the x values into the equation.

4. How do I prove that certain points lie on a quadratic equation?

To prove that certain points lie on a quadratic equation, you can substitute the x and y coordinates of the points into the equation and solve for the constants a, b, and c. If the equation holds true, then the points lie on the quadratic equation.

5. Can I use any points to prove a quadratic equation, or are there specific requirements?

In order to prove a quadratic equation, you will need at least three points. These points must satisfy the equation and cannot be collinear (lie on the same line). It is recommended to use points that are not too close together to ensure accuracy in the proof.