Need help with bezier curve style question

• Thread starter sparkzbarca
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of bezier curves in plotting the course of a ship in space. The main issue is determining the midpoint of the curve, as the ship's position changes while it rotates. Possible solutions include using a cubic or squared bezier curve, with the midpoint either directly in front of the ship's starting heading or where the end point intersects with a vertical line from the ship's front heading. The individual is unsure of the correct approach and is seeking guidance on a formula to solve the problem.
sparkzbarca
this is actually for computer programming.

I'm trying to show a line which plots the course taken by a ship. It's in space so drag etc are not an issue but it can continue to accelerate.

I felt initally the answer was to take the end point and figure out the angle between the current heading and angle to point at the end point and divide that in half to find the mid point of a bezier curve. (in half because it would spend one half of the trip accelerating and one half decelerating to reach the correct heading)

the issue is though that because the ship is also moving forward as it rotates its position changes so it changes final angle.

I feel like a cubic bezier curve might be what I need with its 2 points and that PERHAPS one point is directly in front of its starting heading and the other is I'm not sure.

Alternatly maybe its just a simple squared bezier curve and the mid point is basically where assuming the point you want to end up at is somewhere in front of the ship. Its the point where the horizontal line made by the end point crosses the vertical line coming out from the front heading of the ship.

I'm really not sure though, I'm not even positive I'm going about it rightly with bezier curves.

If someone could give me some general guidance on a formula to solve this it'd be appreciated. :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is a bezier curve?

A bezier curve is a mathematical curve that is commonly used in computer graphics and animation. It is defined by a set of control points that determine its shape and smoothness. It is commonly used to create smooth and curved lines and shapes.

2. How do I create a bezier curve?

To create a bezier curve, you will need to use a software program that has a bezier curve tool, such as Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape. You can draw the curve by clicking and dragging the control points to the desired shape, or by entering numerical values for the control points.

3. What is the difference between a bezier curve and a regular curve?

A regular curve, also known as a circular curve, is defined by its radius and center point, while a bezier curve is defined by its control points. Bezier curves offer more flexibility and can create more complex and unique shapes compared to regular curves.

4. How do I edit a bezier curve?

To edit a bezier curve, you can use the bezier curve tool in a software program to click and drag the control points to adjust the shape. You can also use the direct selection tool to manipulate individual control points or segments of the curve.

5. Can I animate a bezier curve?

Yes, bezier curves can be animated by changing the position of the control points over time. This allows for smooth and fluid movement of the curve, making it a popular choice for creating animations and motion graphics.