Need help with derivative notation

In summary, the gradient ##∇f## operator can be used as a compact notation for the multivariable case.
orion
If I have a scalar function of a variable ##x## I can write the derivative as: ##f'(x)=\frac{df}{dx}##.

Now suppose ##x## is no longer a single variable but a vector: ## x=(x^1, x^2, ..., x^n)##. Then of course we have for the derivative ##(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^1}, ..., \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^n})##.

But for a proof I need a compact notation like ##\frac{df}{dx}## for this multivariable case. Does such a compact notation exist? I mean, a notation without making explicit reference to components.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
orion said:
If I have a scalar function of a variable ##x## I can write the derivative as: ##f'(x)=\frac{df}{dx}##.

Now suppose ##x## is no longer a single variable but a vector: ## x=(x^1, x^2, ..., x^n)##. Then of course we have for the derivative ##(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^1}, ..., \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^n})##.

But for a proof I need a compact notation like ##\frac{df}{dx}## for this multivariable case. Does such a compact notation exist? I mean, a notation without making explicit reference to components.

Thanks in advance.
How about the ##∇f## operator?
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradient)

Likes orion
Thanks, fresh 42. I'm sorry I'm late in responding, but I forgot I wrote this question. It turns out that after I wrote this, I realized a mistake I was making in the proof and you are right, the gradient works. Thanks again.

orion said:

This -- ## x=(x^1, x^2, ..., x^n)## -- should probably be written as ## x=(x_1, x_2, ..., x_n)## to avoid confusion. Although I have seen a few textbooks that use superscripts as indexes, most use superscripts to denote exponents rather than indexes.

Also, this -- ##(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^1}, ..., \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^n})## -- should be written as ##(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1}, ..., \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_n})## for the same reason.
orion said:

Thanks in advance.

Mark44 said:
This -- ## x=(x^1, x^2, ..., x^n)## -- should probably be written as ## x=(x_1, x_2, ..., x_n)## to avoid confusion. Although I have seen a few textbooks that use superscripts as indexes, most use superscripts to denote exponents rather than indexes.

Also, this -- ##(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x^1}, ..., \frac{\partial f}{\partial x^n})## -- should be written as ##(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x_1}, ..., \frac{\partial f}{\partial x_n})## for the same reason.

No, it has to be written the way I wrote it. Otherwise, the Einstein summation convention does not work and also there is a need to distinguish contravariant components from covariant components.

I realize that I posted in a calculus forum but that was because I wanted input on a derivative notation from vector calculus. It's actually a proof in differential geometry. But in the end I found out that my notational problem was pointing a way to an error in my proof.

Related to Need help with derivative notation

1) What is derivative notation?

Derivative notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the derivative, or rate of change, of a function. It is typically denoted by the symbol f'(x) or dy/dx.

2) How is derivative notation used?

Derivative notation is used to find the slope of a function at a specific point, or to calculate the instantaneous rate of change of a function. It is also used in higher level mathematics to solve optimization problems and to understand the behavior of functions.

3) What is the difference between f'(x) and dy/dx?

Both f'(x) and dy/dx represent the derivative of a function, but they are used in different contexts. f'(x) is typically used when taking the derivative of a function with respect to a variable x, while dy/dx is used when taking the derivative of a function with respect to a variable y.

4) Can derivative notation be used for all types of functions?

Yes, derivative notation can be used for all types of functions, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions. However, the method for finding the derivative may vary depending on the type of function.

5) What are some common rules and formulas used in derivative notation?

Some common rules and formulas used in derivative notation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, chain rule, and the derivatives of common functions such as sin(x), cos(x), and e^x. These rules and formulas help to simplify the process of finding derivatives and are essential in higher level mathematics.