How Do You Derive the Common Ratio in a Geometric Series?

In summary, the common ratio of a geometric series is found by dividing the last term by the preceding term.
sooyong94

Homework Statement

In a geometric series, the first term is ##a## and the last term is ##l##, If the sum of all these terms is ##S##, show that the common ratio of the series is
##\frac{S-a}{S-l}##

Homework Equations

Sum of geometric series

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking to use the sum of geometric series, but I do not know how to deal with the last term. But I know that the common ratio is found by dividing the last term by the preceding term, though the problem is how do I find the preceding term?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is the formula for the sum of geometric series in terms of the first term a, quotient q, and the number of terms, n. Also, the last term can be expressed with a, q, n. Combine these two equations to derive the desired expression.

ehild

But I don't have the formula on my textbook... :/

Unfortunately I don't seem to find one that deals with last terms... :(

The last term is the n-th term. Take n as variable.

ehild

So that would look like ##T_n=ar^{n-1}##?

Well, yes, but Tn, the last term was denoted by l.

ehild

ehild said:
Well, yes, but Tn=l

ehild

That would be ##l=ar^{n-1}##...
Now let ##S=\frac{a(r^{n} -1)}{r-1}##... Then ##S=\frac{ar^{n}-a}{r-1}##
But ##l=ar^{n-1}##... Therefore ##rl=ar^{n}##. Why is it so? I don't get it here... :/
Hence ##S=\frac{rl-a}{r-1}##

Now all I have to do is solve for ##r##?

Last edited:
sooyong94 said:
That would be ##l=ar^{n-1}##...
Now let ##S=\frac{a(r^{n} -1)}{r-1}##... Then ##S=\frac{ar^{n}-a}{r-1}##
But ##l=ar^{n-1}##... Therefore ##rl=ar^{n}##. Why is it so? I don't get it here... :/

rn=r r((n-1)). (For example, r2=r*r; r *r^2 = r *r*r =r3... )

ehild

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks! :D

You are welcome.

ehild

There's an easy way to see the truth of this.
S-a is the sum of all except the first term; S-l is the sum of all except the last term.
If you take all except the last term and multiply each by the common ratio, what set of numbers will you get?

It effectively steps the set of numbers along the sequence by one position, turning it into all except the first term.
Hence (S-l)*ratio = S-a.

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is multiplied by a common ratio to get the next term. For example, the series 2, 4, 8, 16, 32... is a geometric series with a common ratio of 2.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The sum of a geometric series can be found using the formula S = a(1-r^n)/ (1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, r is the common ratio, and n is the number of terms in the series.

3. What is the formula for the nth term of a geometric series?

The formula for the nth term of a geometric series is a_n = a*r^(n-1), where a is the first term and r is the common ratio.

4. How do you determine if a series is geometric?

A series is geometric if each term is multiplied by a common ratio to get the next term. To determine if a series is geometric, you can check if the ratio between consecutive terms is constant.

5. What are the applications of geometric series?

Geometric series have many applications in mathematics and science. Some examples include compound interest, population growth, and radioactive decay. They are also used in engineering, physics, and economics to model real-life situations.