Need help with Newton's Laws, basic Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses points of confusion in a high school physics course, specifically related to Newton's Laws and the definition of work. It is explained that rolling does not involve work against friction and that the definition of work is not intuitive but rather useful and consistent with other definitions of energy. The concept of pushing an object with constant force and its relation to work is also clarified.
stfz
Hi,
I am taking a high school physics course, and there are a few points at which I am getting a bit of confusion.

My first area of confusion relates to Newton's Laws. There are a few scenarios in which I am not clear as to the interaction of forces, etc.

a) Exactly why does putting wheels/rollers/etc under a heavy object make it easier to move?
since force due to friction is : f = u*Fn, where u is the coefficient of friction, Fn is weight.
Looks like force due to friction is dependent only on weight and the coefficient of friction, not surface area which is in contact. What exactly makes it easier? Or is coefficient of friction dependent on surface area?

b) Is the definition of Work (Work (Joules) = Force * distance, Joules = Newton * m) supposed to be intuitive? Since I don't really understand how "work" is defined in that way. I can work with the definition, but it's just that I cannot REALLY understand why it is so.

Definition of work is : W = F * Δx, F = force, Δx = Distance. I just want to clarify this :
Assuming a zero-friction environment, if I push an object with constant force, the object will continually accelerate.
In order to produce work with an object for n meters, then, I assume I will need to push the object continually with constant force. This means I will have to keep going faster and faster. Is that right?

My textbook has this question : "A refrigerator repairman pushes a refrigerator 75 cm horizontally to get access to the panel behind it. If the worker pushed horizontally and did 175 Joules of work, with what force did he push?".

I assume that in this question, ignoring friction, then, that the repairman would have to push the fridge with constant force, thus giving it increasing velocity?

I'm sorry if this seems overly basic... my book did not explain this very concisely.
Would appreciate any input :)
Thanks!

Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
(a) I think that rolling is quite a difficult idea. One essential point is that no work is done against friction, because there is no sliding.

(b) I think you've asked a very good question about the definition of work. I don't think it is intuitive. A teacher or textbook needs to provide a motivation for the definition. Mine would be that you have to 'pay' when work is done, whereas you don't if the force isn't moving. For example, if you wanted to keep a heavy object 2 metres above the floor, you could keep it on a platform (for hundreds of years if you wanted) with no expenditure on any sort of fuel. But if you wanted to lift the object by a further distance, you couldn't do this without some sort of fuel (such as the chemical energy used when muscles operate).

(c) Although you don't need to go into this in order to answer the question, I would imagine that the force exerted by the repairman is simply an equal and opposite force to the resistive force on the fridge. There will be a very small extra force needed to accelerate the refrigerator from rest to the very low speed at which he will slide it. When you calculate the work done, you take the force specified, that is the force exerted by the repairman, NOT the resultant force on the refrigerator (which is almost zero).

Likes 1 person
stfz said:
a) Exactly why does putting wheels/rollers/etc under a heavy object make it easier to move?
since force due to friction is : f = u*Fn, where u is the coefficient of friction, Fn is weight.
Looks like force due to friction is dependent only on weight and the coefficient of friction, not surface area which is in contact. What exactly makes it easier? Or is coefficient of friction dependent on surface area?
Friction coefficient is irrelevant in rolling, because there is no sliding. In rolling the resistance comes from deformation of wheel & surface, which causes the wheel to be rolling slightly "uphill" all the time. It’s not always easier than sliding. The rolling resistance can be higher than sliding friction in some cases.

stfz said:
Is the definition of Work (Work (Joules) = Force * distance, Joules = Newton * m) supposed to be intuitive?
No, it supposed to be useful and consistent with other definitions of Energy.

stfz said:
Assuming a zero-friction environment, if I push an object with constant force, the object will continually accelerate.
In order to produce work with an object for n meters, then, I assume I will need to push the object continually with constant force. This means I will have to keep going faster and faster. Is that right?
Yes

stfz said:
My textbook has this question : "A refrigerator repairman pushes a refrigerator 75 cm horizontally to get access to the panel behind it. If the worker pushed horizontally and did 175 Joules of work, with what force did he push?". I assume that in this question, ignoring friction, then, that the repairman would have to push the fridge with constant force, thus giving it increasing velocity?
It doesn't matter if it accelerates, or moves at constant speed with friction. The average force depends only on the distance and the work done.

Likes 1 person
Thanks! That helped

Hawking once said, "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." It is completely normal to have some confusion when learning about Newton's Laws and basic physics. These concepts can be complex and take time to fully understand. Let's address your specific questions and hopefully provide some clarity.

a) You are correct in saying that the force due to friction is dependent on the weight and coefficient of friction, not surface area. The reason why putting wheels/rollers under a heavy object makes it easier to move is because it reduces the amount of friction between the object and the surface it is on. When the object is resting on wheels, there is only a small area of contact between the wheels and the surface, resulting in less friction. This allows the object to move more easily with less force required.

b) The definition of work, W = F * Δx, may not seem intuitive at first, but it is based on the concept of force and distance. Work is essentially the measure of how much energy is required to move an object over a certain distance. In your example of pushing an object with constant force, you are correct in saying that the object will continually accelerate if there is no friction. However, the amount of work done will depend on the distance the object is moved, not the speed. So, if you push an object with a constant force for a certain distance, you will have done a certain amount of work, regardless of how fast you were moving.

In the question about the refrigerator repairman, you are also correct in assuming that he would have to push the fridge with a constant force, resulting in increasing velocity. The amount of work he does is equal to the force he applies multiplied by the distance he moves the fridge.

Don't apologize for asking basic questions. It is important to fully understand the fundamentals before moving on to more complex topics. Keep asking questions and seeking clarification, and you will continue to build your knowledge and understanding of physics. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are fundamental principles that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to explain the motion of objects.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be expressed as the equation F=ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How do Newton's Laws apply to everyday life?

Newton's Laws can be seen in many everyday situations, such as riding a bike, driving a car, or throwing a ball. They help us understand how objects move and interact with each other, and they are essential for designing and building structures and vehicles that function properly.