Need references for magnetic force vs distance/angle topic

In summary, the conversation is about a final degree project involving a new type of pallet conveyor that uses magnets. The person is aware of the inverse square law for magnetic force and has taken it into account in their prototype. They are now looking for scientific papers on the topic to use as references in their final report. The suggestion is made to check the Wikipedia page on the force between magnets, but it is noted that the force between two dipoles actually decays even faster than the inverse square law.
Marc Samarra
Hi,

i'm finishing my final degree project, it's about a new type of pallet conveyor dragged by magnets.
I know for a fact that magentic force is inversely proportional to the distance squared, and I've designed and built my prototype with that in mind.
Now I'm writing my final report and i need to find actual scientific papers to use as reference when explaining that.
So, does anyone know a scientific paper or publicacion on the "magnetic force vs distance" topic?
I'm using regular neodymium magnets (no electromagnets or anything fancy).

Thanks in advance!
Marc S~

Physics news on Phys.org
Marc Samarra said:
I know for a fact that magentic force is inversely proportional to the distance squared,
Not necessarily. All physical magnets are dipoles where the field decays as the inverse of distance cubed. The force between two magnetic dipoles decays even faster since the magnetic force on a dipole with magnetic moment ##\mathbf{m}## is
$$\mathbf{F}=\nabla(\mathbf{m}\cdot\mathbf{B})$$
and thus the force would decay as the inverse of distance to the fourth power.

1. What is the relationship between magnetic force and distance?

The force between two magnetic objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force between them decreases.

2. Does the angle between two magnets affect the magnetic force?

Yes, the angle between two magnets can affect the magnetic force between them. When the magnets are aligned with each other, the force is at its maximum. As the angle between them increases, the force decreases.

3. How do I calculate the magnetic force between two objects?

The magnetic force between two objects can be calculated using the equation F = (μ * m1 * m2)/d^2, where μ is the permeability of the medium, m1 and m2 are the magnetic strengths of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

4. What is the unit of measurement for magnetic force?

The unit of measurement for magnetic force is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of forces, such as gravitational force.

5. How does the strength of the magnets affect the magnetic force?

The strength of the magnets directly affects the magnetic force between them. The stronger the magnets, the greater the force. This means that two magnets with a larger magnetic strength will have a greater force between them compared to two magnets with a smaller magnetic strength, at the same distance and angle.