Need some help, I'm building a state of art STEM community center and Makerspace

• Thread starter CRiley
  • Start date
CRiley
My name is Chris Riley, and I am excited to introduce myself as the STEM Lead for The Fires Innovation Science and Technology Accelerator (FISTA). It is an honor to join this community of educators, experts, and enthusiasts who are dedicated to advancing STEM education and engagement.

I'm currently researching building a 10,000 sqft STEM and Makerspace for the Lawton Oklahoma community. We are focusing on creating the space for under represented high school and college students. The problem I'm running into is finding other STEM facilities focusing in this space.

Any help would be appreciated, but I'm looking for any facilities you may be aware of that I would be able to reach out to and visit. I thank you all in advance for the help and support!

Science news on Phys.org
Reopened after cleanup - please guys, no politics. Jeez.

Likes CRiley
You should try contacting ARL (and other DEVCOM sub units and ERDC), NRL (and various NSWC) and AFRL. They all have STEM programs and probably have people who are familiar with the broader community. Due to your proximity to Austin, you might also contact AFC. They are funding plenty of academic research and might also have some pointers.
NASA has a strong STEM focus. They probably have direct experience with underrepresented communities.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes PhDeezNutz, russ_watters, CRiley and 2 others

1. What is a STEM community center and Makerspace?

A STEM community center and Makerspace is a physical space where individuals can gather to learn and participate in activities related to science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). It often includes tools and equipment for hands-on projects, as well as resources and support for individuals interested in STEM fields.

2. Who can benefit from a STEM community center and Makerspace?

A STEM community center and Makerspace can benefit people of all ages and backgrounds. It can provide valuable learning opportunities for students, as well as resources and support for professionals and hobbyists interested in STEM fields.

3. What types of activities are typically offered at a STEM community center and Makerspace?

Activities offered at a STEM community center and Makerspace can vary, but often include workshops, classes, and hands-on projects related to STEM fields. These may include coding, robotics, 3D printing, electronics, and more.

4. How can I get involved with a STEM community center and Makerspace?

There are a few ways to get involved with a STEM community center and Makerspace. You can become a member, volunteer your time and skills, or attend events and workshops. You can also reach out to the center directly to inquire about any specific opportunities or needs they may have.

5. How can a STEM community center and Makerspace benefit the community?

A STEM community center and Makerspace can benefit the community in many ways. It can provide access to resources and learning opportunities for individuals of all ages and backgrounds. It can also serve as a hub for collaboration and innovation, bringing together individuals from different fields to work on projects and solve problems. Additionally, it can help to promote interest and careers in STEM fields, which are becoming increasingly important in our modern society.