Negative Pressure in a 10mL syringe containing 2.5mL water

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a vacuum leak test for medical devices from a syringe based test to a pump based test. The current guidelines involve purging air from the catheter and using a syringe filled with water. The question is raised about the pressure in the syringe and whether the vapor pressure of water should be taken into account. It is suggested that the pressure will reach equilibrium and a diagram is requested for further clarification. The total water volume and the temperature of the liquid are also mentioned.
Morgan0415
Hello All,
We are trying to convert a vacuum leak test for medical devices (catheters) from a syringe based test to a pump based test.
The current guidelines call for purging air from the ID of the catheter under test with water (~1mL). The distal end of the catheter (tube) is blocked and the proximal end is attached to a 10mL syringe containing 2.5 mL water.
When the syringe plunger is pulled back to 10mL, what is the pressure in the syringe/catheter?

I assume it will change over time as the water evaporates but the test only lasts for 15-30 seconds.

Would the vapor pressure of the water come into play? Would it be 0 mmHg even with H2O present?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
Morgan

Physics news on Phys.org
15 to 30 sec is certainly long enough for the water vapor pressure to attain its equilibrium value.

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, it went to my company "clutter" box so sorry for my delay in replying.

So does that mean we should use 0 mL as initial volume (Vi) and add the vapor pressure of water to the final pressure (Pf) achieved (PiVi=PfVf)?

...or should we use 3.5mL as Vi and add the vapor pressure of water to Pf?

Thanks again.

Morgan0415 said:
Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunately, it went to my company "clutter" box so sorry for my delay in replying.

So does that mean we should use 0 mL as initial volume (Vi) and add the vapor pressure of water to the final pressure (Pf) achieved (PiVi=PfVf)?

...or should we use 3.5mL as Vi and add the vapor pressure of water to Pf?

Thanks again.
I'm having trouble understanding your question(s). Would it be possible to provide a diagram (or diagrams). Thanks.

I hope this helps. We would like to know what the pressure is in the syringe on the right after the plunger is pulled back to 10mL. Please let me know if more info is needed. Thanks again.
Aspiration.jpg
Aspiration.jpg

Total water volume = ~ 3.5mL (1mL in catheter and 2.5mL in 10mL syringe attached to catheter)

The pressure will be the equilibrium vapor pressure at the temperature of the liquid.

Thank you very much!

Related to Negative Pressure in a 10mL syringe containing 2.5mL water

1. What causes negative pressure in a syringe?

The negative pressure in a syringe is caused by the decrease in volume of the liquid inside the syringe. When the volume of the liquid decreases, it creates a vacuum which leads to negative pressure.

2. How does negative pressure affect the liquid in a syringe?

Negative pressure in a syringe can cause the liquid to boil at a lower temperature than its normal boiling point. This is due to the decrease in pressure, which lowers the boiling point of the liquid.

3. Can negative pressure damage the syringe or the liquid inside it?

In most cases, negative pressure will not cause any damage to the syringe or the liquid inside it. However, if the negative pressure is very strong, it can cause the syringe to crack or break. It can also cause the liquid to evaporate quickly.

4. How can negative pressure be removed from a syringe?

Negative pressure can be removed from a syringe by gently pushing the plunger up to increase the volume of the liquid. This will equalize the pressure inside the syringe and remove the negative pressure.

5. Is negative pressure in a syringe a common occurrence?

Negative pressure in a syringe is a common occurrence and is a result of the natural laws of physics. It can happen when the liquid inside the syringe is at a lower temperature than its surroundings or when the volume of the liquid decreases due to evaporation or compression.