Neurophysiology homework question- nervous system of a fictional sea creature.

In summary, for the simple fictional sea creature with a round body and a single tail controlled by two antagonistic muscles, a nervous system with two light-sensitive neurons and as many excitatory and/or inhibitory neurons as desired can be created. The goal is for the creature to always swim towards light, regardless of its direction. This can be achieved through strategies such as collaterals and reciprocal inhibition, where the light-sensitive neurons are connected to alpha motor neurons that control the muscle groups. An inhibitory effect is present when light is not sensed, allowing for movement towards light when it is detected. Additionally, the creature can be wired to also swim forward without any sensory neuron stimulation, and to swim faster when light is sensed in front of it.
shanwilmo
1. Create the nervous system of a simple fictional sea creature which is round with a single tail controlled by two antagonistic muscles. You may only use two light-sensitive
neurons, but as many excitatory and/or inhibitory neurons as you wish. Each neuron used
must be either entirely excitatory or entirely inhibitory.

The goal of the nervous system is to always have the sea creature swim toward light
regardless of the direction from which light is first encounter. Use the strategies
discussed in class such as collaterals and reciprocal inhibition make sure to explain any
complicated connections or functions and indicate whether a neuron is excitatory or
inhibitory.

Homework Equations

3. So due to the fact that this creature is so simple, I believe that I am over thinking it.

My creature would have Two light sensitive neurons. One on each side of its round body. Each of the light sensitive neurons would lead directly to an alpha motor neuron that creates the motor unit of each of the antagonistic muscle group. (the sensory neuron on its left side would be the alpha motor neuron for the muscle on the left side of its tail only. Visa versa for the other side) the Alpha motor neuron would be connected by an interneuron that would create reciprical inhibition between the two muscles, allowing them to be anatgonistic to each other.

The light sensitive neuron would have an inhibitory effect on the motor neuron when light is not present.

I may be just over thinking it, because I feel that my answer is not good at all and that it needs to be more complicated than that. I also think I maybe missing something in the question. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
How does the creature know when the light is behind them instead of in front? Also from your description it seems as though sensing light will cause one of the muscles to contract and not seeing light will cause it to relax but this won't make your creature swim anywhere, if there is a light source on one side of the creature then its tail would just kink to one side indefinitely.

Thanks so much for pointing that out! Yes you are right, rereading my answer I do need to be a little more thorough.

I would wire the animal to have an inhibitory neuron on the main motor neurons. I would arrange it so that the creatures tail would only be able to move in one direction, thus turning the creature towards the light. Once the sensory neuron inthe front would sense the light, the creature would resume firing both muscles in its tail, pushing the creature forward towards the light.

You do bring up a valid point that I did not address. The creature should be wired to just swim forward when no sensory neuron is stimulated, both motor neurons would fire, makingthe creature swim forward. If light is sensed in front of the creature, the rate of firing would increase, making the creature swim faster.

Does this make sense? Is there anything else I missed??

Also, if light was sensed one side, the neuron on that side would fire in bursts (i left that part out, sorry). this would force the tail to contract to one side, relax and go back to neutral, then contract to the same side again, forcing the animal to turn towards the light.

[/b]

I would like to provide some feedback on your proposed nervous system for the fictional sea creature. First of all, I want to commend you for considering the strategies discussed in class such as collaterals and reciprocal inhibition in your design. However, I do think that your nervous system may be a bit too simplistic and may not fully address the goal of always swimming towards light regardless of its direction.

One suggestion I have is to add another layer of neurons in between the light sensitive neurons and the alpha motor neurons. These intermediate neurons can act as integration centers, receiving input from both light sensitive neurons and sending output to the alpha motor neurons. This way, the nervous system can make more complex decisions about which direction to swim based on the relative strength of light input from each side.

Additionally, I would recommend incorporating some form of memory or learning into the nervous system. This will allow the creature to adapt and improve its swimming behavior over time. For example, if the creature swims towards light and does not encounter any food, it can learn to adjust its swimming direction in the future to increase its chances of finding food.

Finally, I would suggest considering the role of neurotransmitters in your nervous system. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers that allow neurons to communicate with each other. By incorporating different types of neurotransmitters, you can create a more complex and efficient nervous system for your fictional sea creature.

Overall, I think your proposed nervous system is a good starting point, but there are definitely ways to make it more robust and effective in achieving the goal of always swimming towards light. I hope this feedback is helpful and I encourage you to continue exploring and refining your design.

1. What is the nervous system of a fictional sea creature?

The nervous system of a fictional sea creature is a complex network of cells, tissues, and organs that work together to control and coordinate the actions and responses of the creature. It allows the creature to sense and respond to its environment, communicate with other creatures, and carry out essential functions such as movement and digestion.

2. How is the nervous system of a fictional sea creature different from that of a terrestrial animal?

The nervous system of a fictional sea creature is adapted to function in a marine environment. This includes specialized structures such as a lateral line system for sensing vibrations and pressure changes, as well as adaptations to regulate salt and water balance. Additionally, the nervous system of a sea creature may have different sensory and motor capabilities than a terrestrial animal to suit its unique lifestyle.

3. What are the main components of the nervous system in a fictional sea creature?

The main components of the nervous system in a fictional sea creature include the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. The brain is responsible for processing information, controlling behavior, and coordinating bodily functions. The spinal cord acts as a pathway for nerve signals to travel between the brain and the rest of the body. Nerves are bundles of specialized cells that transmit information throughout the body.

4. How does the nervous system of a fictional sea creature regulate movement?

The nervous system of a fictional sea creature controls movement through a combination of sensory input and motor output. Sensory cells in the skin and muscles send signals to the brain, which then coordinates movement by sending signals to the appropriate muscles. The nervous system also works with other systems, such as the musculoskeletal system, to ensure efficient and coordinated movement.

5. Can the nervous system of a fictional sea creature regenerate or repair itself?

Some fictional sea creatures have the ability to regenerate or repair their nervous system, while others do not. For those that do have this ability, it is often limited to specific types of cells or injuries. For example, some sea creatures can regenerate damaged nerve cells, while others are able to repair damage to their nerve sheaths. However, this ability is not universal and varies among different species of fictional sea creatures.